Touch Bar disappeared after updating MacBook Pro to macOS Sonoma 14.5

I have apple macbook pro 13 inch 2020 touch bar edition, i'm facing a software issue in my mac like, my touch bar disappeared after updating it in macos sonoma 14.5, it automatically shows up sometime and get disappeared any time, while touching on touch bar everything is working properly but it not showing me the icons, after restart i get a pop to report to apple, also i copied the error and asked about that to chatgpt and it tells me this.

Also apple store and apple care are not ready to repair or solve this issue, they're saying to replace the mac or they can install software/os again but charging for it, also not giving any assurance that problem will solve or not.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 8:32 AM

5 replies

Jun 13, 2024 12:15 PM in response to thelinuxboy

I agree with leroydouglas:

• Typically it is a Hardware failure
  • ChatGPT provided no useful information

The reinstalling of the OS is always the first thing that should be done for troubleshooting and something Apple will do as well. You can do this on your own and doesn't cost anything. You will want to make sure you have a backup even though doing this is not supposed to affect your other data.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2024 8:44 AM in response to thelinuxboy

thelinuxboy wrote:

I have apple macbook pro 13 inch 2020 touch bar edition, i'm facing a software issue in my mac like, my touch bar disappeared after updating it in macos sonoma 14.5, it automatically shows up sometime and get disappeared any time, while touching on touch bar everything is working properly but it not showing me the icons, after restart i get a pop to report to apple, also i copied the error and asked about that to chatgpt and it tells me this.

Also apple store and apple care are not ready to repair or solve this issue, they're saying to replace the mac or they can install software/os again but charging for it, also not giving any assurance that problem will solve or not.

On the M series mac —

for software

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

How to reinstall macOS

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

Hardware issue you would need to take it in, and you can bet on a Logic board replacement...

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Jun 13, 2024 10:10 AM in response to thelinuxboy

thelinuxboy wrote:

I have apple macbook pro 13 inch 2020 touch bar edition,

sonoma 14.5,

i copied the error and asked about that to chatgpt

There is no benefit in regurgitating ChatGPT here..

You do not even confirm this is M1 2020, There are 2 Intel 2020 MBP that have Touch Bar as well, the attempts at software fix are different for Intel processor.

But I will add— typically it does point to a hardware issue— this contradicts what your ChatGPT states:

Jun 13, 2024 9:50 AM in response to thelinuxboy

The Kernel panic is caused by the Touch Bar failure. You can try to reinstall the OS to see if the driver for the Touch Bar is corrupted, but if that does not work, you will need to take it in for diagnostics and possibly Touch Bar replacement. Seems like an odd response from the Apple Store you went to. I agree that reinstalling OS should be the first step and it is not guaranteed to work, but if you have AppleCare, they should be obligated to fix it. Without AppleCare, sometimes the repair cost is greater than the purchase price of a new device, so in that case I could understand recommending replacement.

Nothing useful gained from the ChatGPT response unfortunately.

Touch Bar disappeared after updating MacBook Pro to macOS Sonoma 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.