When working on a 4K one hour FCPX project should I render processing heavy scenes before adding them to the timeline?

I'm trying to efficiently manage space and processing on a feature length documentary filmed in 4K that I'm editing on FCPX. I have a scene which requires a lot of processing complete with green screens. Can I render this scene and then add it to the 1 hour and 20 minute Rec 709 4K timeline to reduce processing and save space on my external SSD? This will mean the scene will rendered twice, will that negatively impact the quality of the video?

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 10:57 AM

7 replies

Jun 13, 2024 11:10 AM in response to Quillnib

In addition to the advice from Luis, another suggestion is you could also work this scene (or all scenes) in Proxy mode and switch to Original media when you want to export for review. Proxy files will take additional space but maybe not as much as a full ProRes export with an added benefit being that you can change your mind about the green screen and not have to re-render the large ProRes.

Jun 14, 2024 12:49 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

I have an M3 computer so it plays back well in better quality. But, I work mostly in Proxy Preferred except while color grading. Speaking of which, should I be switching the display to NTSC from XDR p3-1600 nits for color grading the Rec 709 version? I realize that one should be using calibrated color grading monitors for this, but I cannot afford them.

When working on a 4K one hour FCPX project should I render processing heavy scenes before adding them to the timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.