Problem using external SSD as Mac OS Monterey Start-up Disk (iMac late 2015, 27" Retina, 17.1)

Hello,

A while back my internal SSD failed and I resorted to using an external drive (Samsung, 1TB, SSD, ca. 2015) as start-up disk / regular main drive for my old iMac. I am using OS Monterey.

Problem is that as soon as there is the shortest power-off (be it a regular system restart, shut-down, or a power outage), my iMac will restart normally, but after a few minutes I see the message "the disc you attached was not readable by this computer" (Disk Utility repair does not fix the problem). After that I have less than 5 minutes before my iMac shuts down due to an unexplained error. The iMac will start again and the loop of unexpected error -> restart - unexpected error continues indefinitely.

I already tried creating another bootable USB start-up for Monterey and clean install. I also tried using multiple other external drives, but nothing solves the issue.

I am running out of ideas and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Oliver

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 11:07 AM

4 replies

Jun 14, 2024 12:21 AM in response to Allan Jones

Initially I set it up as as Mac OS Journaled since basic recovery leads me to El Capitan which does not have the ASPS format option. However, I also tried formatting the drive in APFS by using a separate, new, MBA that I have. None of the three options: a) Mac OS Journaled, b) APFS or c) 50/50 partitioned between then two solves my problem.

Jun 15, 2024 1:13 AM in response to OWimmer

Quick update: I downloaded an older version of Mac OS (Big Sur) and installed that on the external SSD. It's only been 12h, but so far the hard disk has not crashed (like it constantly did under Monterey). I'm a bit reluctant to hit the software update option to Monterey now. Perhaps I'll just have to stick to Big Sur.

Problem using external SSD as Mac OS Monterey Start-up Disk (iMac late 2015, 27" Retina, 17.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.