How to import custom 3d generated .obj models in fcpx?

Apparently there used to exist a plugin 3D MODEL OBJECT LOADER FOR FINAL CUT PRO X - PIXEL FILM STUDIOS.

I seems to be discontinued. What can I use today to import custom 3D generated .obj files to FCPX?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 7:22 AM

I used mO2 a LOT for business. It gave you way more control. Such as textures, shaders, etc. Comparing a Font to an actual 3D model is not really fair, because it depends on how that 3D model was built, to what detail, to what quality, lots of variables there. mO2 also had a library of primitive shapes we could manipulate to build on, too, which was fantastic. IMHO Apple should purchase mO3 and embed as a native part of Motion (thus FCP as well). But a font is so limited, and USDZ models are not the most prolific 3D format on the market. You can't change textures, shaders, shapes, etc. Plus, 3D objects can not interact with 2D objects outside of mO2(3). Very much excited to get my hands on mO3 and be back in business again.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2024 7:22 AM in response to fox_m

I used mO2 a LOT for business. It gave you way more control. Such as textures, shaders, etc. Comparing a Font to an actual 3D model is not really fair, because it depends on how that 3D model was built, to what detail, to what quality, lots of variables there. mO2 also had a library of primitive shapes we could manipulate to build on, too, which was fantastic. IMHO Apple should purchase mO3 and embed as a native part of Motion (thus FCP as well). But a font is so limited, and USDZ models are not the most prolific 3D format on the market. You can't change textures, shaders, shapes, etc. Plus, 3D objects can not interact with 2D objects outside of mO2(3). Very much excited to get my hands on mO3 and be back in business again.

Jun 13, 2024 8:03 PM in response to BenB

All Apple had to do was add two (maybe three) more features to 3D Text and it would have been an outstanding environment for development. 1) the ability to "revolve" and 2) the ability to customize how materials/textures are applied (more control over "mapping"). [It's been a long time since I've considered what else was needed so I can't really remember the details.]

Anyway, most "models" can be made with basic shapes and for those shapes that need customization, there are **many** free font making apps available, and a few online that will convert SVG and "compile" them to TTF fonts/characters.

It is supposedly possible to convert OBJ to USDZ with Reality Converter, but you need an up to date OS to use it (I'm still in 10.14.6 — so I have no access and never have since 3D Objects were introduced into Motion!)

3D Text examples:

Here's a few more:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/portfolio-3d-gallery/

It may just be my imagination, but I think that the 3D Text "models" look a lot better than most of the 3D Object USDZ files look — at least the ones that come with Motion.

Jun 14, 2024 2:30 PM in response to BenB

Comparing a Font to an actual 3D model is not really fair, because it depends on how that 3D model was built, to what detail, to what quality, lots of variables there.

All a font is - is a database of vector image files. You can look at is as a (somewhat sealed) folder of files if you like. There really is no difference except that font files are wired to a series of keyboard codes that automatically look up the shape and place it on the screen. And, there are other features such as placement of the graphics relative to a moving point based on the width of those shapes as well as their heights when a carriage return is typed. There is actually a whole "layer" of features in font graphics not available to standard graphics files.

However - let's just say that we both come to Motion from different earlier disciplines. I was a font designer in the 80's and 90's and I had been using fonts to create vector graphic images a few years *before* there was even an Adobe Illustrator... It's what I'm most used to.

mO2 also had a library of primitive shapes we could manipulate to build on, too, which was fantastic.

https://fcpxtemplates.com/motion-shapes-font/ [this is free and contains a free animated Generator:]

IMHO Apple should purchase mO3 and embed as a native part of Motion (thus FCP as well).

I felt the same way about mObject when it came out, but realized that it's not really what Motion is designed to be about and 99.9% of all projects are meant to integrate with Final Cut some sort of way. 3D is a little too "specialty" and just adds more weight to the application. And, when 3D Text came out, I think I could count everybody who had a real interest in taking it beyond just text, on one hand... me, Karsten, "Pielle", "Joelle" and I think some guy named "Voz". Maybe a few stragglers... [that was on fcp.co motion forum... I can't trace 'em back anymore... BTW - Pielle came out with some amazing stuff!] Anyway, as appealing as it is to us, I don't really think Apple sees that there's a viable market for it amongst the majority of users. It's been 9 years now (geez, can you believe it?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BEqBaYJ9k (made with unicode characters from just about any font! Closing scene made with mObject.)

How to import custom 3d generated .obj models in fcpx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.