I want to transfer music from an old iPad to my new devices

Hi,

My old iPad was in dire need of replacement so I got a new one which I am about to set up. I even got a new macbook air and a new iPhone recently. However the music library that I have on my old iPad was on an iMac that crashed and died a few years ago. I was not able to recover the data and the music on my old iPad is all I have left of my original music library. I managed to recover some songs from an external backup disk that I had laying around but only about half of it, which I've used it on my new iPhone but it's obviously not complete.

Now, I want to find a way to transfer all my music from that old iPad to my new devices but I am afraid to do something stupid and erase it all and I don't want that to happen or have my iPad die before I can find a way to transfer my whole library from it.

Is this possible via iTunes, iCloud, iSomething? I want to avoid subscriptions or buying software just for that if possible but I also want my entire music to continue alive and I want to continue building upon it.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I don't have apple music subscription and have not used the free trial either, not sure if that'll help or not...

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 4:06 PM

5 replies

Jun 13, 2024 4:32 PM in response to GiancarloG

GiancarloG wrote:

Hi,

My old iPad was in dire need of replacement so I got a new one which I am about to set up. I even got a new macbook air and a new iPhone recently. However the music library that I have on my old iPad was on an iMac that crashed and died a few years ago. I was not able to recover the data and the music on my old iPad is all I have left of my original music library. I managed to recover some songs from an external backup disk that I had laying around but only about half of it, which I've used it on my new iPhone but it's obviously not complete.

Now, I want to find a way to transfer all my music from that old iPad to my new devices but I am afraid to do something stupid and erase it all and I don't want that to happen or have my iPad die before I can find a way to transfer my whole library from it.

Is this possible via iTunes, iCloud, iSomething? I want to avoid subscriptions or buying software just for that if possible but I also want my entire music to continue alive and I want to continue building upon it.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I don't have apple music subscription and have not used the free trial either, not sure if that'll help or not...

You'll need to purchase either touch copy or imazing to export data to your new mac.

Jun 14, 2024 8:04 PM in response to GiancarloG

Thanks for your answer. I have another question...

If I am looking at spending money to get this done, wouldn't a subscription to Apple Music be faster, easier and cheaper than getting 3rd-party software? Could this be done through Apple Music and not be reverted if I decide to cancel that subscription after a month (or by using free trial) ?

Thanks again.

Jun 15, 2024 2:41 PM in response to razmee209

razmee209 wrote:

GiancarloG wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

You'll need to purchase either touch copy or imazing to export data to your new mac.

Thanks for your answer. I have another question...

If I am looking at spending money to get this done, wouldn't a subscription to Apple Music be faster, easier and cheaper than getting 3rd-party software? Could this be done through Apple Music and not be reverted if I decide to cancel that subscription after a month (or by using free trial) ?

Thanks again.

I want to transfer music from an old iPad to my new devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.