Screen is locked when pressing and holding certain keyboards.

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro with a JIS (Japanese) keyboard.

And I use a US Magic Keyboard.

So the keyboard is set to ANSI.

At that time, I'm having trouble getting back to the login screen when I press and hold a particular key continuously.

Specifically, keys such as `Delete`, `+`, `-`, `)`, `(` , `*`, `&`, `^`, etc.

I reviewed the settings, but could not fix anything.

I also tried installing an external tool such as `karabiner` to change the long press behavior, but to no avail.

I'm having a very hard time and would like to know if anyone has any ideas.

Environment

• Apple M3 Pro 16 inch
  • Sonoma 14.5

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 10:45 PM

5 replies

Jun 14, 2024 2:29 AM in response to hcrane_cvq

hcrane_cvq wrote:

I'm having trouble getting back to the login screen when I press and hold a particular key continuously.Specifically, keys such as `Delete`, `+`, `-`, `)`, `(` , `*`, `&`, `^`, etc.

Could you provide more info on what you are trying to do here? What app are you in, and what language are you trying to type in? Why do you need to long press those keys? What do you mean by "getting back to the login screen"? Are you not logged in?

Have you tried playing with the key repeat and delay rates?

Set how quickly a key repeats on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 14, 2024 3:21 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for replying.

> What app are you in, and what language are you trying to type in?

Language is irrelevant. Problems occur whether the keyboard is in Japanese or English.

And also app has nothing to do with it. It happens on every screen.

> Why do you need to long press those keys?

For example, when you are entering text and want to delete a sentence, you press and hold the "delete" key, right?

> What do you mean by "getting back to the login screen"? Are you not logged in?

This is the login screen of a mac.

It means the screen when you start up.

-> Added "login screen" screenshot

If you have any ideas, please tell me :)

Jun 14, 2024 4:57 AM in response to hcrane_cvq

hcrane_cvq wrote: when you are entering text and want to delete a sentence, you press and hold the "delete" key,

Thanks for the clarification! Could you tell us what is happening or not happening when you try to delete text that way?

Is the text not deleting? Is the app crashing? Are you being logged out?

Could you explain in more detail how the login screen is related to holding the delete key to get rid of text in some app?

Jun 16, 2024 7:39 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for replying again :)

Is the text not deleting?   Is the app crashing?   Are you being logged out?  

First character is deleted.

But second character is not, then logged out.

App is not crashing.

Could you explain in more detail how the login screen is related to holding the delete key to get rid of text in some app?

For example, if you press and hold a key in an application such as Memo, Browser, Mail, etc., you will be logged out.The same is also true for other applications, even if you press and hold the key on the home screen.

This happens with some keyboard keys, not just delete, as explained at the beginning.

ー> key:`Delete`, `+`, `-`, `)`, `(` , `*`, `&`, `^`, etc.

I would like to attach the problem video to Youtube if I have time.

Screen is locked when pressing and holding certain keyboards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.