how increase magnification factor in picture-in-picture rectangle on new Mac mini Sonoma 14..2?

I am 85 with poor eyesight and need picture-in-picture rectangle to read and write on my Mac mini. This is me fourth Mac mini and have previously succeeded in fixing up pic-in-pic rectangle. But the system settings seem to have changed. Previously there was a sort of thermometer scale to adjust the magnification factor of the pic-in-pic but I cannot fine it this time. The magnification rectangle has NO magnification at all. Help greatly appreciated as, at present, I am using a Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to read everything!

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 8:17 AM

1 reply

Jun 14, 2024 11:35 PM in response to davidblackburn

Hi davidblackburn,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "how increase magnification factor in picture-in-picture rectangle on new Mac mini Sonoma 14..2?"

You can zoom in and out on the screen using keyboard shortcuts, scrolling on your mouse or trackpad, or tapping on your trackpad. For how to turn these options on and off:

See Apple support's article :Zoom in and out on what’s onscreen on Mac - Apple Support

Seems there are a few different ways of controlling zoom;

Apple Support have another MacOS Sonoma article online that may be helpful:

Change Zoom advanced options for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Eg: says: "On your Mac, use the Advanced options of Zoom settings for accessibility to set appearance, control and focus options for the selected zoom style (Full Screen, Split Screen or Picture-in-Picture)".

To change these settings, choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, click Zoom on the right, then click Advanced. (You may need to scroll down.)

The options you will find in settings are described in detail in the above linked article.

Other articles that may be helpful: in using more Zoom features.

With Hover Text on your Mac, you can move the pointer over text on the

screen to display a larger version of it, and display a larger version

of text as you type. (Once set up, pressing the command key displays larger text in it's own window) See how to: Use Hover Text on Mac - Apple Support

More info : Change Zoom settings for accessibility on Mac

How to: Make text and other items on the screen bigger on Mac

All the best :-)

how increase magnification factor in picture-in-picture rectangle on new Mac mini Sonoma 14..2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.