Edit Photos In Acorn 7

I am trying to edit my photos that are in my Photo App in Acorn. Because I have so many images, I have created a New Library on my 4 Tb external hard drive. I then, in the Photo App, select the image to edit and open it in my Photo App. Once open I click Edit. In the Edit window I select Edit in the Acorn Extension. I then Make the edit I need to and save and close the Acorn window. Then I open the Photo App window where I see the Edit I made in Acorn. I click "Done" and I am faced with this window (see image). Any one know what is going wrong? I can do this if the Library is on my Desktop Hard Drive but NOT the External Hard Drive.

Mac mini, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 11:50 AM

Try the following as it doesn't require any extensions:

1 - go to the App Store and down load External Editors for Photos and install.

2 - in the Photos edit mode click on the circle with three dots in the center and select External Editors.

3 - the next window will show all of the image editors available in the Applications folder.

4 - or you can click on the Favorites button and then on the Add Application button to add Acorn to the favorites and it will the top one listed when you Control (right) - click on the image thumbnail and select Open With.

My library is on an external drive and I can use external editors without issue.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2024 11:50 AM in response to phendee

Try the following as it doesn't require any extensions:

1 - go to the App Store and down load External Editors for Photos and install.

2 - in the Photos edit mode click on the circle with three dots in the center and select External Editors.

3 - the next window will show all of the image editors available in the Applications folder.

4 - or you can click on the Favorites button and then on the Add Application button to add Acorn to the favorites and it will the top one listed when you Control (right) - click on the image thumbnail and select Open With.

My library is on an external drive and I can use external editors without issue.

Jun 14, 2024 3:21 PM in response to phendee

How is the 4T drive formatted and connected to your Mini? It must be formatted either APFS or OS X Extended (journaled) and connected by cable to the Mini. It can't be part of a Time Machine drive.

What are the ownership settings for the drive?

Also the edited version must be saved with the same format as the original file if edited from within the library.

Jun 17, 2024 10:41 AM in response to phendee

GOOD NEWS! Well after much todo and a lot of help from this community and not much from Acorn, I have finally resolved the issue. If you right click on the thumbnail in Apple Photos there is a selection for "Share". In the Share dialog you select Acorn. The image will Open in Acorn. You make your Edit(s) and "Save" the file and close the window. When you go back to Apple Photos your work is done! Thanks everybody for the help. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Jun 17, 2024 6:02 AM in response to Old Toad

I have spent the weekend backing up my external drive and formatting it to Mac OS Journaled. I then created a new library on that drive and imported some JPGs. I then went through the process of using the Acorn 7 Extension to Edit image and then save and save in Photos. The result is still the same - not good. Though the process works if the Library is on the OS HD it does not work if it is on an external HD formatted anyway. Either the error is with the Photos App or with the Acorn app. Because I can see the change from the edit when I go back to the Photos App. I tend to think Apple is having some difficulty in the process. I am open to other ideas.

Jun 17, 2024 11:18 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

This has been The problem to use the Acorn Extension. It just will not work under any situation on an external drive. This is the Best work around I could find. The extension works Great - but, only if your Photos Library is on your computer's Hard Drive - NOT an external drive. I have tested this every way I can and ways which have been discussed in this thread. Unless Acorn is capable of responding to my support inquiry, that's what I have.

Edit Photos In Acorn 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.