Static with audio-Screen capture of video with shortcut Shift-cmd-5

I do the capture with the usual Comman+Shift+#5 and when I replay, the sound is lower or absent (so low it seems absent) but there is static all the way. This is happening with M1 mini (2020) with Sonoma 14.5.

I and using earbuds to monitor the sound, but...It also records environmental sounds... It seems this shortcut is missing something the previous shortcut that I used on my MacBook Air desktop had, which worked flawlessly when grabbing (video + sound) recording from the screen. No environmental sounds were recorded either on the MacBook Air. Unfortunately, the audio I am experiencing is not usable. I do have other screen grabbing on my previous computer, but I don't want to spend money on new versions for the M1 Mac mini.

Mac mini, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 1:22 PM

1 reply

Jun 14, 2024 3:26 PM in response to Walkiria

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime (or also “shift-command-5”) you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Static with audio-Screen capture of video with shortcut Shift-cmd-5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.