Is it possible to recover lost music data from a dead MacBook?

I thought it was on the hard drive but apparently not . Ive forgotten everything Mac and now have a new Mac air . struggling with everything but enthusiasm is good with Logic , T Racks and Kontact sampler being reasonable :-)

Thanks for any steps forward... How do I get my music back ( self made , produced ) when my Mac book died? It was many years ago and I lost all my details , giving up when I would just go in circles ??

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 11:31 PM

1 reply

Jun 16, 2024 2:15 AM in response to Maxxx88

Did you make backups of your old Mac? If so, you may be able to recover data from those backups.

If you did not make backups, and the old Mac's drive can be pulled out and put into an external case (which isn't always the case), you might be lucky enough to recover data. MIGHT. Drive failure is one of the biggest reasons that computers die in the first place. If the drive is dead, failing, or corrupted, there's no guarantee that you will even be able to see what's on it, let alone get your music back.

Note that there is no practical way to pull the drive out of current Mac notebooks. The flash chips that store the contents of the SSD are soldered in, and the contents are encrypted with a key held by the Apple Silicon chip. If you could separate the flash chips from the motherboard, their contents would seem to be so much hash.

I would strongly urge you to get into the habit of making backups of your new computer.

Is it possible to recover lost music data from a dead MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.