iphone passcode fails when trying to change child's Apple ID password

My son figured out how to change his iPad passcode and then promptly forgot what he changed it to, and his iPad is now in security lockout. I've tried erasing it, but it will not accept his Apple ID password. The little spinning thing pops up and never goes away. I tried changing his Apple ID password using my iPhone, which I've done in the past without issue. However, when I enter my phone's passcode as prompted, it just asks for it again. After asking four times, it says, "too many failed attempts." I know I am entering the correct passcode because I can use this passcode to unlock my phone.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 10:11 AM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2024 7:53 AM in response to transfigure

This issue spontaneously resolved itself after five days. I have no clue why it arose in the first place or what caused it to resolve itself. Between yesterday, when the process was still failing, and today, when the process started working again, I made no changes to my phone. No restarts, no updates, no settings changes. It's unsettling that this can happen and nobody knows why or is willing to help. It speaks to some sort of bug in the iOS processes.

iphone passcode fails when trying to change child's Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.