iMac Stuck on charge bar - erase HD?

My iMac (about 7-8 years old) does not start. I get the Apple logo and charge bar half way through and stuck.

Got to Disc Utility and run used first aid on Macintosh HD - Data as instructed, but it failed.

Then I tried to reinstall OS which I tried says I can’t do it because I don’t have enough memory.

In order to create space, do I need to erase these data? I worry if I delete the wrong one, I will loose photos and other files even if I have them on iCloud?

Not sure what to do, is my Mac getting too old that is not worth repairing?

A few years ago I added extra memory to 1T and didn’t think I would run out of memory, so I am confused.

Appreciate advice on what to (and what not to) do - thanks in advance.

Mel

iMac 27″

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 10:56 AM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2024 3:36 PM in response to Melmellybj

If you try to erase the computer ALL of the data (photos, documents etc) is also erased. This is why it is critical that you use Time Machine to backup daily, operating any computer without a solid backup plan is a 100% guarantee of lost data. If you have not been backing up then be prepared to learn a painful but valuable lesson.

I strongly recommend taking the computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider immediately before further damage has been done!

iMac Stuck on charge bar - erase HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.