In OSX, is it OK to delete fonts that keep hanging up Bitdefender Virus Scanner?

I have 10.15.7 (Catalina) on my 12 year old iMac. (Need to get new iMac since mine doesn't have capacity to upgrade to MOS 11+.....)

Have been using Bitdefender Virus Scanner (free version) religiously for over a decade. Normally it's been fine at occasionally finding things and either deleting or quarantining them. But lately, it will sit for hours and hours on just one particular font (always stuck on it, so it never finishes the scan even after, last night, 12+ hours!) which is really annoying.

Am thinking of deleting the troubling fonts one at a time when they hang up the virus-scan. (Then I can do COMPLETE scannings again.) Is that safe for me to do, delete problem fonts (maybe with attached malware to them) without corrupting anything?

Here are some examples of fonts that most recently are tying it up (per Bitdefender scan window):

/Library/Fonts/Bodoni Ornaments ITC TT

/Library/Fonts/Santa Fe LET Fonts

Also, if it IS safe for me to delete them, what is the safest way for me to completely delete a given font that's hanging the scanning up?

Thank you for any enlightenment.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 3:22 PM

SummerHaven wrote:

I have 10.15.7 (Catalina) on my 12 year old iMac.
Have been using Bitdefender Virus Scanner (free version) religiously for over a decade ... it will sit for hours and hours on just one particular font (always stuck on it, so it never finishes the scan even after, last night, 12+ hours!) which is really annoying.

In macOS Catalina and later, the System volume is mounted on startup read-only, so it is impossible for a virus to replicate or make changes in the macOS System volume. Your post points up the hazards of using such antivirus software as you are now tempted to make changes that may reduce functionality of your Mac. And all for naught because your Mac cannot be infiltrated by a virus, the read-only system volume makes that impossible.

You can read about this here:

Signed system volume security - Apple Support

Pay attention to BDAqua's post. Indeed, it may be very difficult to remove BitDefender completely. As such, BitDefender is behaving itself in a manner akin to malware or virus by being embedded on your Mac, causing unwanted effects, and possibly very hard to remove. The "cure" is worse here than the disease (which you are immune to anyway).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2024 3:22 PM in response to SummerHaven

SummerHaven wrote:

I have 10.15.7 (Catalina) on my 12 year old iMac.
Have been using Bitdefender Virus Scanner (free version) religiously for over a decade ... it will sit for hours and hours on just one particular font (always stuck on it, so it never finishes the scan even after, last night, 12+ hours!) which is really annoying.

In macOS Catalina and later, the System volume is mounted on startup read-only, so it is impossible for a virus to replicate or make changes in the macOS System volume. Your post points up the hazards of using such antivirus software as you are now tempted to make changes that may reduce functionality of your Mac. And all for naught because your Mac cannot be infiltrated by a virus, the read-only system volume makes that impossible.

You can read about this here:

Signed system volume security - Apple Support

Pay attention to BDAqua's post. Indeed, it may be very difficult to remove BitDefender completely. As such, BitDefender is behaving itself in a manner akin to malware or virus by being embedded on your Mac, causing unwanted effects, and possibly very hard to remove. The "cure" is worse here than the disease (which you are immune to anyway).

Jun 15, 2024 1:00 PM in response to SummerHaven

It would be better to remove Bitdefender. Macs have their own built-in antivirus and other security features. Third-party antivirus apps are not necessary and usually create more problems than they solve, sometimes serious problems.

Perhaps (only perhaps) 10+ years ago, long before modern versions of macOS, Bitdefender may have added a bit of protection. But that's not the case any more, especially since you already have macOS Catalina.

Jun 15, 2024 1:06 PM in response to SummerHaven

If a virus scanner constantly hung up when scanning innocuous fonts, I'd be tempted to get rid of the scanner – rather than getting rid of the fonts.

If you insist on deleting fonts anyway, you can use the Font Book application to deactivate or remove fonts. There may be some fonts that the Mac won't let you delete. I'm guessing that it would let you delete those two, but I do not feel like deleting my copies just to test.

Jun 15, 2024 6:59 PM in response to SummerHaven

Oh boy, thanks all for your comments! Totally turned me around on this subject! A smooch to each of you on the cheek!

I defer to the sage advice of you people. I will stop looking at this as a "problem", and look more at Bitdefender Virus Scanner as the problem. (The 100% verdict you gave me above makes me sure. I will look at future comments though just to be sure.) No longer will I waste time on every-other-day virus scanning.

This makes me surer than ever that I need to get a new iMac ASAP. (Originally planned it as a New Year's Resolution for 2023.) I already have I think $250.00 in coupons (from work's "we love you" program that gives out rewards) for AppleStore redeemed out of the rewards, just need to get myself in gear and do it.)

David N.

Jun 16, 2024 5:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDA, it's actually still on App Store for me. (I know, because right before I wrote my initial post, I tried to see if they had an upgraded version of BitDVS, thinking that might solve the problem. They didn't, and so it didn't solve the problem.)

But, it may well only be available / visible to misers like me, who still use 12-year-old iMacs! (It may have detected that when I initially purchased my machine, it was on MacOS X/10 something way lower than Catalina, and so offered to give me it again.) And not available to you guys.

Jun 15, 2024 6:25 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Thanks, I'd try it to check them out, but I don't see a free trial without giving them my SSA#!.:)

I wasn't suggesting installing BitDefender just to try out the uninstall instructions …

… but maybe the OP will find the vendors's instructions "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" (to use one of the ratings on the MacAddict magazine ratings scale).

There was an even worse ratings level: "Please pass the sharp stick."

In OSX, is it OK to delete fonts that keep hanging up Bitdefender Virus Scanner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.