how do you delete an entire "list" from your iphone contacts?

In contacts under iPhone list I have sub-list like work, family, etc. I have moved all my contacts to the cloud and do not want any stored on the iphone. I am trying to clean things up and I cannot delete the sub-list titles. I only have the options to add a list or edit the field. When I tap edit, the sub-titles are greyed out and nothing can be done to them, you can't press and hold for them to highlight nor do they swipe in any direction. How do I delete these sub-titles?

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 3:34 PM

1 reply

Jun 15, 2024 4:01 PM in response to Jqchuy

Jqchuy wrote:
In contacts under iPhone list I have sub-list like work, family, etc. I have moved all my contacts to the cloud and do not want any stored on the iphone.

Careful here. You cannot archive (move) any contacts to iCloud. You can synch your contacts to iCloud so that the contacts can be shared among other devices signed on with the same Apple ID. This means that if you delete your contacts on your iPhone, then those contacts will be deleted on iCloud at the same time. In short, if you delete contacts, photos, music etc, on your iPhone, then that data will be deleted from iCloud as well. Are you using a different cloud service other than Apple’s?

I am trying to clean things up and I cannot delete the sub-list titles. I only have the options to add a list or edit the field. When I tap edit, the sub-titles are greyed out and nothing can be done to them, you can't press and hold for them to highlight nor do they swipe in any direction. How do I delete these sub-titles?

You may have Screen Time Restrictions set to ON. Turn OFF Screen Time Restrictions by opening Settings ➡️ Screen Time ➡️ Content & Privacy Restrictions: Set this to OFF.

Axel F.

how do you delete an entire "list" from your iphone contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.