iMac macOS 12.6.7 locked out

dog accidentally locked by iMac through iPad. Tried find my iPad and got 6 digit number but unfortunately when it was locked it was removed from all devices so can’t access

imac password not working

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 6:41 PM

1 reply

Jun 16, 2024 8:50 AM in response to Shazza Bella

I’m not clear about what-all is happening here.

There’s seemingly more happening here than can be explained solely by a dog, or we should be focusing on getting this particular dog into a formal cognitive evaluation and quite possibly then into an appropriately-challenging educational program.

Whether two different Apple IDs and no Family Sharing were used as the iMac and iPad equipment won’t show across Apple IDs, or whether some person with the Apple ID credentials removed some or all of the associated devices from the Apple ID? Details here on whether and how the iMac and iPad are associated are unclear or missing; same Apple ID everywhere?

Depending on which password or passcode or passkey or two-factor verification prompt…

Here is how to reset a forgotten Mac login password: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

The Mac login password is not tied to an Apple ID, though an Apple ID can potentially be used to unlock a forgotten Mac login password. Worst case with a corrupted or compromised Mac usually means a factory reset the Mac and restore the most recent backup prior to whatever happened here, and reviewing security.

If this is referring to Activation Lock on an iMac and not to a forgotten or somehow canine-locked login password, then you will need to regain access to the Apple ID holding the lock (probably through recovery, though that can depend on the Apple ID setup details), or present sufficiently-convincing proof of ownership to Apple for them to clear the lock. If this iMac was a second-hand acquisition, contact the seller.

I’m making various guesses about what happened here. More information would be helpful on what equipment is locked, and at what password or passcode or two-factor verification prompt.

iMac macOS 12.6.7 locked out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.