Accessing Backup

I have backup of old MacBook Pro (2013 vintage) on a Seagate portable drive. When I got my current MacBook Pro I did not transfer all my programs and data over from old machine as wanted fresh start with new ID, email account etc. I now have a need to access a few documents and some emails that are on the backup drive. Do not want to a permanent transfer of all the data on the backup as the majority of it is now out of date and no longer required. I was thinking of transferring the backup to a special separate location on my current MacBook, where I can keep it all separate until I have accessed and copied the required files etc and then remove the old data. However, I am not sure how to go about it - if it is possible/feasible - and cannot see any instructions on how to do it. Would it require creating a partition on the HD? If so, how do you do this, are there any problems with such a partition, and how do you remove it afterwards?

Assistance, comments and guidance would be appreciated.

I am using macOS Sonoma 14.5.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 8:58 PM

2 replies

Jun 16, 2024 6:27 AM in response to JackTar43

Use Migration assistant to migrate a copy of the original Userid, with its files, to your current drive and place it alongside your current user's files

MacOS is inherently a multiple user system, and having one more user is completely ordinary. Just don't MERGE or replace you current Userid with the old one. (Same name is not a problem, Migration assistant will Mae sure they don't collide, and give it a name-1 username or similar.

I would not try to get fancy and bring over old Applications. In the RARE case they might be useful, you can obtain them from the maker.

Accessing Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.