my macbook air’s screen is black no matter what i do

this is a pretty old macbook air. i tried turning it on after charging it and the screen stays black. i can see the keys and screen lighting up, but the most i get as a response is accidentally turning on voice over mode. not sure if it’s relevant, but the battery is pretty damaged and only charges when it’s off (and takes anywhere from 6-12 hours). is there any way i can get my laptop to work? turning it off and on doesn’t do anything.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 9:30 PM

1 reply

Jun 16, 2024 2:50 AM in response to belen46

Try to start up from macOS recovery:

If using any other Mac

1. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds again to make sure that your Mac is turned off. 
  2. Press and release the power button to turn on your Mac. Immediately after releasing the power button, press and hold Command (⌘)-R, and keep holding the keys until you see an Apple logo or spinning globe.
  3. You might be asked to select a network from the Wi-Fi menu, or attach a network cable. If you don't see a Wi-Fi menu, look for it in the upper-right corner of the screen.
  4. When you see the Utilities window, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk, then restart your Mac. 
  5. If your Mac restarts to a blank screen again, reinstall macOS.

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery because the screen remains blank:

If the issue continues or you need help with any of these instructions, contact Apple Support

my macbook air’s screen is black no matter what i do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.