Question Mark on Startup, "Repaired", but still appearing

I have a MacBook Pro 13-in 2017 model. It was giving me an error message at start up (the question mark folder). I'd followed all the steps recommended on Apple Support and eventually had to take it in for a repair. They replaced the logic board an assured me it was back working. I took it home and didn't touch it for the rest of the day. Today, I open it up and it's dead. So, I plug it up and try to turn it on and get the same error message with the question mark. The top right portion of my laptop is also hot while I'm only running Safari right now. Any idea what's going on? A paid a lot of money for that logic board replacement for the error message to re-appear the next day.

Could it also be related to the charger? My charger is always on fire when I have the laptop plugged up. It's a 61W USB-C Power Adapter.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 11:18 PM

2 replies

Jun 16, 2024 6:50 AM in response to 3rdmacbook14

it is possible if the battery went completely Flat, it could forget where the startup disk was. In that case, if you just let it sit at the question mark for a few minutes, it may 'look around' and find the boot drive

Mac repairs come with a modest warranty for the same problem occurring again within 90 days. Everything involved in 'question mark at startup' should have been replaced.

Take ALL your equipmen, including this suspect power adapter back to the store that fixed it and ask them to "make it right"

Question Mark on Startup, "Repaired", but still appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.