Why won't my 2015 MacBook Air power up even after charging?

I've just been given a 2015 mac book air that's been unused for around 9 months. I've tried to charge it up but nothing seems to power up. The mag charger has a small green LED that flashes on and off repeatedly around every 1 seconds or so. I've left the book on charge for a couple of hours and will not power up at all. As I'm new to these devices, has anybody any ideas or am I missing a simple point? Many thanks in advance for any help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 4:35 AM

4 replies

Jun 18, 2024 6:30 PM in response to Stu5544

Good job, glad you got it powered on.

As for the OS install, it is hard to say. I've had some installs take a long time and once in a while one will get stuck. A lot of it depends on the quality & speed of your network & local Internet, plus sometimes Apple's servers can be slow if you are still on the downloading phase of the install. Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell if it is still slowly moving or whether it has completely stalled out. If you wait 2 - 3 hours, then I would force a restart and see if it will boot to the internal SSD. If the installer got stuck at the reboot phase, then this may allow it to finish. If the installer already rebooted and got stuck during phase 2, then maybe it will finish, or it may indicate a hardware issue or possibly a file system issue depending whether you erased the drive or reinstalled over top of itself.

Normally I would recommend first creating a bootable macOS USB installer to have on hand just so you have a second option, but if you did not create one previously, then you will need access to another Mac which is compatible with an OS this 2015 laptop supports (10.11 to 12.x) although the other Mac can currently be running any version of macOS.

• For macOS 12.x you generally need a Mac from 2015 to 2021
  • For macOS 10.15 you generally need a Mac from 2012 to 2019
  • For macOS 10.13 you generally need a Mac from Late-2009 to mid-2018
  • For macOS 10.11 you generally need a Mac from 2007 to 2015

You can use the information in the following article to confirm OS & hardware compatibility:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Jun 16, 2024 9:34 AM in response to Stu5544

Try an SMC Reset to see if it will allow the battery to charge & the laptop to power on.

Otherwise you will need to disconnect the battery from the Logic Board. Then connect the power adapter & power on the laptop with the battery disconnected. If this works, then reconnect the battery while the laptop is still powered on & let the battery charge to at least 20%, otherwise you may damage the battery if the charger is disconnected. You must be very careful not to allow any of the internal components from making contact with any metallic or conductive objects or surfaces while the Bottom Case is removed or you will damage the laptop. I personally find setting the laptop on its right side with the display open is easiest & safest way to do this. Sometimes I will place the laptop on the back of its display with the keyboard/palmrest open in a vertical position.

Even if this works and allows the laptop to power on & charge the battery, the battery may already have suffered permanent damage for being completely discharged/drained for such a long time. There is risk of the battery swelling.

Jun 16, 2024 10:01 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much for the reply. Since my post, I have managed to get the book to power up and the charge cable is showing steady amber. I have connected to my WiFi and started an Internet os install or something of the kind. It's been sat with an apple badge and progress bar at halfway for over an hour now so I'm not sure if it's 'stuck' on the at that point or just take a an age to sort itself out?the underside is getting warm I'm sure is due to charging.

Many thanks for your help with this.

Jun 18, 2024 11:22 PM in response to HWTech

Hi. Many thanks for for your reply. I have removed the battery as suggested and inspected it it for damage, bubbling etc and appears well. I've carried out SMC reset plus others to make sure but still suffering the same issue. Alas, I have secured the services of a professional to assess the 'book and he's confirmed a faulty hard drive. His advise is it is not worth repairing as there was no files to save before it failed (I was given the' book by family, it did not contain any stored files like photos, downloaded apps etc). As the Macbook is no longer supported by Apple I decided too it was not worth repairing at £100>£140.

Thankyou so much for your help though, I did try your suggestions. I guess we can't win them all and sometimes we have to draw a line under certain situations. BTW, a suggestion made was I may have simply had a slow Internet connection or the apple server may have been slow? I'm running cable with an average DL of 250 mbps(tested) and and to make sure it wasn't a slow apple server I left the reboot over night only to find it hadn't budged at all by morning.

Again, many thanks to all for your kind suggestions.

Why won't my 2015 MacBook Air power up even after charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.