MacBook Pro not responding

My MacBook Pro (about 6 years old) is not responding. I don’t know what lead up to it but my son was watching YouTube videos, then he brought it to me like this. The screen is black but the mouse/curser is visible and working. There is no background, nothing to click on just black and the curser. The keyboard is not lighting up and the Touch Bar with the touchID/on button is not lighting up or responding at all. I have tried to turn it off but with no off button(touch bar not responding) it’s doing nothing. Please help, I have an essay due tomorrow and this is the only computer we have

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 8:02 AM

4 replies

Jun 16, 2024 8:23 AM in response to Emma123-321

Emma123-321 wrote:

My MacBook Pro (about 6 years old) is not responding. I don’t know what lead up to it but my son was watching YouTube videos, then he brought it to me like this. The screen is black but the mouse/curser is visible and working. There is no background, nothing to click on just black and the curser. The keyboard is not lighting up and the Touch Bar with the touchID/on button is not lighting up or responding at all. I have tried to turn it off but with no off button(touch bar not responding) it’s doing nothing. Please help, I have an essay due tomorrow and this is the only computer we have

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac. Restart as normal and compare your results.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen (white, black, gray, or blue)

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen - Apple Support

MacBook Pro not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.