sign on password rejected for software update

Trying to update Sonoma 14.2.1 rejects my password and does not update. I tried changing the password but to no avail. I'm stuck with no way of updating. I tried to update using Terminal but that didn't work either.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 1:57 PM

5 replies

Jun 17, 2024 4:42 AM in response to chasb38

chasb38 wrote:

A home computer which I get into using my password. But when I try to download and install new OS it refuses to take the same password.

If you can't reset your Mac login password

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

If the User ( you ) are not the Administrator of this computer, below will Not Work.

In that case, contact the Administrator of this computer

Intel Computer

Shutdown the computer 

Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

Press Return key

Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 /M3 Computer 

Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose.

Do not  attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause for about 10 seconds before moving forwards 

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

Click Options, then click Continue. 

Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

Press Return key

Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

sign on password rejected for software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.