M2 MacBook Pro 16 inch intermittant keyboard issue - liquid damage or not?

Hi - just wanted to ask if anyone else having anything like this. Long term Apple Devotee - Client/Friend had intemitant issues with his MacBook Pro 16" with the keyboard typing different characters to what was expected randomly - randomly he couldn't log in at lock screen or even type word docs/URLs.

Over 6 months it became regular enough to need to reinstalling of the system and eventualy take to a Genius bar - A reset of firmware using Apple Configurator got it going but the issue returned - we sent it off for repair and the diagnosis from Apple was motherboard but we had to pay for the repair as they told us it was liquid damage.

This is where we have absolutely no idea how this could or would of happened - the laptop just isn't in an enviroment where this is even probable - Apple did send us photos and everyone we show - says it looks more like a solder manufacting fault - not liquid damage - Apple were great to deal with - but it was like a brick wall went up in trying to find out any more info...Even the Apple support agents were having trouble getting anything....

The thing that gets me is they only replaced the motherboard - not the keyboard or fans or anything else - I asked for photos of the liquid sensors - just to help us understand what happened - nothing coming....brick wall...

Has anyone else had this issue or had to pay for a motherboard repair? - I've never had this lack of communication from Apple before with a fault....The Genius bar techs and Phone support staff - fantastic! but nothing from Apple - I can't even talk to someone in a customer relation team....nothing

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 5:16 PM

4 replies

Jun 16, 2024 6:08 PM in response to Peter Spalding

Peter Spalding wrote:

Hi - just wanted to ask if anyone else having anything like this. Long term Apple Devotee - Client/Friend had intemitant issues with his MacBook Pro 16" with the keyboard typing different characters to what was expected randomly - randomly he couldn't log in at lock screen or even type word docs/URLs.

Over 6 months it became regular enough to need to reinstalling of the system and eventualy take to a Genius bar - A reset of firmware using Apple Configurator got it going but the issue returned - we sent it off for repair and the diagnosis from Apple was motherboard but we had to pay for the repair as they told us it was liquid damage.

This is where we have absolutely no idea how this could or would of happened - the laptop just isn't in an enviroment where this is even probable - Apple did send us photos and everyone we show - says it looks more like a solder manufacting fault - not liquid damage - Apple were great to deal with - but it was like a brick wall went up in trying to find out any more info...Even the Apple support agents were having trouble getting anything....

The thing that gets me is they only replaced the motherboard - not the keyboard or fans or anything else - I asked for photos of the liquid sensors - just to help us understand what happened - nothing coming....brick wall...

Has anyone else had this issue or had to pay for a motherboard repair? - I've never had this lack of communication from Apple before with a fault....The Genius bar techs and Phone support staff - fantastic! but nothing from Apple - I can't even talk to someone in a customer relation team....nothing

I think your expectations are set too high for personal in-dept back and forth dialog for your issue. This has nothing to do with "Long term Apple Devotee," but business as usual.

You can read the recent service report—My Support - Official Apple Support

You can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Contact the corporate office Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

M2 MacBook Pro 16 inch intermittant keyboard issue - liquid damage or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.