8th gen iPad battery questions

I have an 8th gen iPad. Recently had a call with apple support and they ran diagnostics that showed my battery is at 80%. I have a couple issues happening with my iPad, could the battery be causing these: 1] screen becomes unresponsive to touch, even after a hard reset. Pretty much every day I need to do a hard rest because it is frozen. Sometimes after the reset, it isn’t any better and I do another hard reset. Then it will be fine for awhile. 2) sometimes, more rare than the unresponsiveness, the iPad will randomly flit from screen to screen without me touching it or flicker multiple times. This usually occurs after it has becomes frozen. 3) sometimes the iPad seemed to get rather hot.

if a replacement battery will fix these issues, that is a good investment, I’d like to last another year. But if these issues are unrelated then I don’t want to pay the money for a new battery.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 7:57 AM

2 replies

Jun 17, 2024 8:09 AM in response to KJaney

As described, a screen "flicker" might suggest a more serious issue than an ageing battery. Do you experience the same symptoms while the iPad remains connected to its Power Adapter?

If the iPad is not working as expected, try a forced-restart - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Should issues persist after trying all of the above, this might be a good indicator that something more serious is occurring.

You might be well advised to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to hands-on test and assess your iPad. If a fault is identified, you'll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

8th gen iPad battery questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.