How can I reset the password policy and reset my password on my MacBook running macOS Sonoma?

My Mac initially required a user login password with a minimum length of 8 characters. I changed this requirement to a minimum of 4 characters. However, after restarting my Mac, it prompted me to reset the password upon entering my valid password. Now, it is asking for a password that is at most 4 characters long but also requires the password to be at least 8 characters long. It seems the update to the password policy did not overwrite the original 8-character requirement. Consequently, I am unable to log in since it asks for a password reset, which is impossible due to the conflicting requirements. I attempted to resolve this via the recovery mode CLI but was unsuccessful. How can I reset the password policy and reset my password?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 9:50 AM

1 reply

Jun 17, 2024 10:40 AM in response to Brahman17

Brahman17 wrote:

My Mac initially required a user login password with a minimum length of 8 characters. I changed this requirement to a minimum of 4 characters.

However, after restarting my Mac, it prompted me to reset the password upon entering my valid password. Now, it is asking for a password that is at most 4 characters long but also requires the password to be at least 8 characters long
It seems the update to the password policy did not overwrite the original 8-character requirement.

Consequently, I am unable to log in since it asks for a password reset, which is impossible due to the conflicting requirements. I attempted to resolve this via the recovery mode CLI but was unsuccessful.

How can I reset the password policy and reset my password?

re: CLI (Command-line interface)

you can try reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

if no resolve try How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

How can I reset the password policy and reset my password on my MacBook running macOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.