Google Vignette Ads in Safari

I had never seen one of these ads in Safari until the last month or two. Has something changed to make Safari susceptible to them? I am seeing them regularly on Drudge and a few other sites that I have regularly visited forever. I have popups blocked but these ads do not care. I am looking into ad blockers, but my question here is simply whether something has changed with Safari or the advertiser’s methods, because I had never seen these ads until recently.

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 4:45 PM

1 reply

Jun 17, 2024 6:40 PM in response to TopoChico

... my question here is simply whether something has changed with Safari or the advertiser’s methods, because I had never seen these ads until recently.

If I had to guess, it would be the latter. I am not aware of any recent changes to Safari that would make it more susceptible to them. Google is constantly seeking ways to circumvent content blockers, leaving ad-blocking products with a constant need to catch up. That will never end.

By the way: https://support.google.com/adsense/thread/82581119/where-is-the-option-to-shut-off-vignette-ads-these-ads-are-horrible?hl=en

If that comment is typical of the reaction such things get then you should contact that website developer and tell them to cut it out. No one will care until it affects their bottom line. Speak up. Their contact information is at the lower right.

Google Vignette Ads in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.