Apple Pencil 1st gen no longer working

I have an Apple Pencil 1st generation and and iPad 9th generation running iOS 17.5.1.

For some unknown reason, the Apple Pencil stopped working the other day.

The Apple Pencil will still charge. The iPad tells me the pencil is currently at 48%.

I have turned Bluetooth off and on.

I have hard rebooted the iPad.

I have unpaired and re-paired the pencil. It pairs successfully.

The Apple Pencil settings window shows that it is connected and will display how much charge is left in the battery.

I have replaced the tip with a brand new one that came with the Pencil. I made sure it is snuggly screwed into place.

None of this has worked. The iPad gives no indication that anything is wrong with the pencil. It looks like the pencil should be able to write and perform all its functions on the iPad, but it doesn't. No writing, no selecting, no drawing.

I just ordered a new pack of replacement tips (Apple Brand). I am hoping that will fix the issue, but I wanted to post here in case there is any step I have missed in trying to get the pencil working again.

Any tips beyond what I have already tried are greatly appreciated.

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 6:17 PM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2024 3:52 PM in response to AppleFan244

update. New tips arrived. Still doesn't work. Tried "forget this device" in Bluetooth, then hard reboot of the iPad, then re-pair the pencil. It pairs just fine, says it has plenty of charge, will charge to 100%, but just won't write or interact with the GUI in any way. I wish I had another iPad to pair it to or another pencil to try, but I don't.

Apple Pencil 1st gen no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.