Can no longer use streaming services (including TV app) on LG Ultrafine 5k attached to M1 MBP??

I'm increasingly being told by all streaming services that there is an "error" with playback when I have my MacBook Pro connected to my LG Ultrafine 5K monitor with the included LG USB-C cable. These are services I've watched with this same setup for years without a problem. But, now one after the other is not allowing playing on secondary monitor. All works fine on the built-in 16" MBP screen.

As of this week on Apple's own TV app, I'm now getting the "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)" message. I bought this monitor from Apple in part due to their gushing comments about this as the ideal monitor for Apple products, and now I cannot even watch my Apple content on the monitor.

I hope I'm missing a easy solution... I've tried a different thunderbolt 3 cable that both charges the MBP and displays the content on the LG screen, and get the same results. Is there a fix for this nonsense?

Posted on Jun 19, 2024 6:34 PM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2024 9:58 AM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman, you are officially my new best friend :-)

I didn't even know there was such a thing as software updates for monitors.

After downloading LG Screen Manager app from the App Store, being prompted that an update was available for my 7 year old monitor, and completing the update, I can now watch content from ALL streaming services (and the TV app) on my LG Ultrafine 5K monitor.

I may also be "seeing things" but the "burn in" or see through effect that had progressively gotten worse the past few years (seeing ghost artifacts of folders or app windows through the current folder or app window) seems to be gone. This was most bothersome with Lightroom when trying to edit photos. But, when I pull up Lightroom now, there is nothing "ghosting" through from behind it. Time will tell, of course. But, would be absolutely amazing icing on cake to have that even improved in some way.

Genius... and so simple!

Thank you!!!

Can no longer use streaming services (including TV app) on LG Ultrafine 5k attached to M1 MBP??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.