Time Machine backup stalls - how to fix it?

Time Machine backup has been a hot mess on my system recently. Time prediction is not worthy of its name with times going up and down unpredictably. The backup also often stalls for extended amounts of time or forever. Then, the only thing that seems to help is abort and restart - hardly a satisfactory solution. What can be done?

15:39 60% 31min remaining

16:29 60% 31min remaining - Mac minutes can be relatively like for Einstein.

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2024 7:33 AM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Jaxu

Jaxu wrote:

Time Machine backup has been a hot mess on my system recently. Time prediction is not worthy of its name with times going up and down unpredictably. The backup also often stalls for extended amounts of time or forever. Then, the only thing that seems to help is abort and restart - hardly a satisfactory solution. What can be done?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/bc28a80f-9c46-44a2-8963-e55c349ed67a
15:39 60% 31min remaining

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/ce168d03-9195-400f-801d-87a1ab4b4dac
16:29 60% 31min remaining - Mac minutes can be relatively like for Einstein.

Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac

Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 21, 2024 4:27 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy

Thanks for the link to the general troubleshooting guide. 3 items on it look promising:

1) Disk is full - but it contains nothing of use. The only recommendation it makes is to exclude folders by hand. :-(

2) Backup is slow - it warns of virus scanner software (none), USB below 3 (not the case), and distant Time Capsules (not the case either). Nothing is relevant. :-((

3) Time Machine stuck in preparation - not my case. Backup starts but then gets stuck and remains at a random % for hours without any visible progress. :-(((

So, unfortunately, nothing useful in the generic help pages.

Regards

Time Machine backup stalls - how to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.