Wipe & ReInstall OS X El Capitan Results in 403 Error

Hello everyone.

We have a very old Mac from 2009 - its' most recent operating system is OS X El Capitan. It is naturally quite slow, so I wanted to factory reset it and reload the operating system, in the hope that I can one day use it to just play old videos (as it still has the much-missed built-in disc drive). I just followed the advice from another support thread from 2017 that had me restart, hold down command + r, open disk utility, wipe, the old drive, and finally reinstall the software. That all went well and fine, until the final step. I've tried thrice now and keep getting hit with the same error message when I attempt to reinstall. I sign into my Apple account no problem, password + code from other device etc, then after that the computer says (verbatim): "An unexpected error occurred while signing in. The server gave an error during download: 403 Forbidden. I know a 403 means I don't have access, but I am confused how I don't have access to an OS reinstall. Any tips and advice on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 20, 2024 9:44 AM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2024 11:19 AM in response to Skaldfather

Skaldfather wrote:

Hello everyone.

We have a very old Mac from 2009 - its' most recent operating system is OS X El Capitan. It is naturally quite slow, so I wanted to factory reset it and reload the operating system, in the hope that I can one day use it to just play old videos (as it still has the much-missed built-in disc drive). I just followed the advice from another support thread from 2017 that had me restart, hold down command + r, open disk utility, wipe, the old drive, and finally reinstall the software. That all went well and fine, until the final step. I've tried thrice now and keep getting hit with the same error message when I attempt to reinstall. I sign into my Apple account no problem, password + code from other device etc, then after that the computer says (verbatim): "An unexpected error occurred while signing in. The server gave an error during download: 403 Forbidden. I know a 403 means I don't have access, but I am confused how I don't have access to an OS reinstall. Any tips and advice on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

2009 maximum OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)

el capitan direct from the content delivery network (cdn)

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/061-41424-20191024-218af9ec-cf50-4516-9011-228c78eda3d2/InstallMacOSX.dmg

Wipe & ReInstall OS X El Capitan Results in 403 Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.