Numbers Spreadsheet not recognising values so formula SUM is not working

Hi hope someone can help.

Numbers Spreadsheet - Not recognising values so basic sum formula does not work. I have changed the formatting of the cells and this has not helped. I have changed the language and region and this has not helped. I have multiple tabs on this spreadsheet and half the tabs work and the other do not?? The information was original downloaded from a Santander bank through Excell and cut and pasted into numbers. What I have found is the value in the cell looks different. In the other tabs it will £6.00 for example and in the tabs that are not working it will be £ 6.00. As I say re-formatting these under currency or numbers still makes no change & the £ GAP still remains.

Please help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 4:51 AM

Hi Krishunt,

I think that Olivia has hit the nail on the head. The SUM function ignores text. Delete the pound symbol and the space. Use only numbers and let Numbers do the formatting for you. Here we go with Format > Cell > Data Format > Currency

Upvote to Olivia's reply 🙂.

Regards,

Ian.

13 replies

Jun 22, 2024 4:57 AM in response to Krishunt

A number can be one of those but not both. If 100,00 is a number then 100.00 is not, it will be text. The region settings on your computer determine which decimal separator to use. The region can be overrridden in File->Advanced->Language & Region but, regardless, only one of the two (point or comma) will be a number. If you are wondering why you cannot have both, take the example of 1,001 . If both separators were allowed at the same time, is this one and one thousandths or is it one thousand and one? Could be either.

Here are two ideas for importing new data that uses decimal points, based on your statement that you cut/paste from Excel (which is likely also treating it as text):

If Excel is not treating these numbers as text, you may be able to open/import the Excel file in Numbers then copy/paste from that Numbers document to your other document.

If that doesn't work (and I suspect it will not),

1. Create a new Numbers document to be used for importing the data that has decimal points.
  2. Use File->Advanced-Language & Region to set the region of that file to one where the point is the separator (like US). First set the language then the region setting will become active and you can set the region.
  3. Save this document for future use.
  4. Copy/Paste from Excel into this "import" file. The numbers with decimals will become actual numbers/currency.
  5. Copy/Paste from there to your other Numbers file. It will convert all the numbers to have commas and they will be numbers/currency.

Jun 23, 2024 4:54 AM in response to Krishunt

Easy.

1. Change the region of your spreadsheet to one that uses the decimal point. All actual numbers (those that had commas) will convert to decimal point numbers. All the problematic ones that had been decimal points will stay as they are but will still be text (format will probably say "automatic" but they will be text).
  2. Select and format all those text-formatted decimal point numbers as currency (or number)
  3. Change the file back to System-English

One simple way to tell the difference between actual numbers and text-formatted numbers is by how they align in the cell, but this only works if you let Numbers do the text justification. If you set the text justification back to automatic (the icon on the far right) vs centered, text will justify to the left and actual numbers to the right.

Jun 22, 2024 4:06 PM in response to Krishunt

Krishunt wrote:

Seems very frustrating that I just cannot reformat the cells. I don't understand why you have an option to reformat into currency but the computer won't allow it?

If the decimal separator is supposed to be a comma, a "number" such as 100.01 is not a number and will not be recognized as a number. Think of it as being in a different language. It first needs to be translated into the proper language by converting the period to a comma and removing any commas used as thousands separators (or replacing them with a space). Only then can it be recognized as a number. Here is a similar problem: use the word "桌" in an English sentence. You cannot, that character is meaningless in English. It has to be translated first (as "table")

Also, after the conversion you'll want to make sure that they all really do become numbers/currency and are not still text. SUM does not sum text, even if that text looks like a number. The +-*/ operators work on text-formatted numbers but none of the numeric functions do, they will skip right over them. I don't know the legacy but I tend to blame stupid stuff on Microsoft. If it does something dumb there then all compatible apps (like Numbers) have to do it, too.

Jun 23, 2024 2:54 AM in response to Badunit

Brilliant thank you. So, is there a way that I can re-format a column to over come this? I have tired cut and paste back to excel and reformat and that is not working? As above, I cannot reformat in numbers as it won't allow it, it returns to automatic. I can't really retype all values for a 6 months of a large business transactions? As this will add in potential errors?

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this? What are my options, or can it not be done????

Jun 23, 2024 5:09 AM in response to Krishunt

Hello~ Our devoted and longtime volunteers in the Numbers forum are indeed brilliant. The fact that you have told them this and thank you holds you in very good stead with me. They work hard to help here and are often never thanked at all. Thank you for being appreciative to them all. Hang around in this forum and you will indeed learn quite a bit.

~Katana-San~

Jun 21, 2024 8:36 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi

I have deleted the £ and reformatted and nothing, the SUM value at the bottom of the spreadsheet does not recognise the cell. It also does not recognise the VALUE formula in the next cell showing the red triangle. Although I have noticed something odd. When I format the cell: CELL -DATA FORMAT - CURRENCY (or) NUMBER. when I click out of the cell and then go back into it, it remains on AUTOMATIC????

so maybe its just not formatting at all????

Really appreciate everyone's help, I am very confused. Large Spreadsheet with large amount of data. Any and all suggestions please....

Jun 22, 2024 5:35 AM in response to Badunit

Ok thank you, understood. I will try and open a new spreadsheet - set the regional as you suggested and re-cut n paste the data and hope that will make it available to re-format. I suppose another option would be to cut n paste in excel and see if I can reformat it in there????

Seems very frustrating that I just cannot reformat the cells. I don't understand why you have an option to reformat into currency but the computer won't allow it? Feels like a lot of work for a simple SUM formula.

Appreciate your help, thank you. Any further advise I am happy to take... Still stuck on how I how I can make the formula work. spreadsheet is a business yearly accounts so needs to be correct.

Jun 24, 2024 3:09 AM in response to Badunit

***** THIS IS THE ANSWER*****

Thank you BADUNIT - and everyone.

I did this in the beginning and it did not work, however my error was not selecting one of the countries that accept (.) vs (,) the countries you need to select from are only : China, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, or The Philippines ) Then this enabled me to able to re-select column and currency value then resave back to GBP and now the SUM recognises the cell contents and works.

Thank you everyone who has given their time to help me, hopefully this will help others.

Numbers Spreadsheet not recognising values so formula SUM is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.