How to hear sound through TV instead of my MacBook Air when screen mirroring?

Hello, I recently got a job working from home. I purchased an ONN ROKU TV 32HD smart TV 720P. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the resolution on the TV monitor so it looks similar to the laptop. Right now, it seems a bit weird. I am using screen mirroring, and I can only hear the sound from the computer instead of the TV. Can someone advise me on how to hear sound through the TV vs the laptop? Also, does the laptop always need to be near the TV screen to work, and how do I adjust the TV resolution so it looks crisper vs how it looks now? Any suggestions or help is very much appreciated. I currently have a MACBOOK AIR, Memory 8GB, MACOS SONOMA 14.5, 15-INCH.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 7:59 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2024 8:11 PM in response to Janedoe1900

Janedoe1900 Said:

"Tv monitor and MACBOOK AIR 8GB: [...]I am using screen mirroring, and I can only hear the sound from the computer instead of the TV. Can someone advise me on how to hear sound through the TV vs the laptop?[...]"

-------

Disable Silent Mode on the iPhone:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Sounds & Haptics
  3. Tap: Silent mode (so that it is greyed out)

Jun 21, 2024 8:44 PM in response to Janedoe1900

Janedoe1900 wrote:

Hello, I recently got a job working from home. I purchased an ONN ROKU TV 32HD smart TV 720P. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the resolution on the TV monitor so it looks similar to the laptop.

Not possible.

A 15" M3 MacBook Air has a screen with 2880x1864 pixels and a pixel density of roughly 228.7 pixels per inch. A 32" 720p HDTV has a screen with 1280x720 pixels that translates to a pixel density of 45.9 pixels per inch.

That 32" 720p HDTV is low-resolution even by the standards of 24" 1080p non-Retina computer monitors. Those monitors have screens with pixel densities of approximately 91.8 pixels per inch.

You're not going to get the same quality on the 720p HDTV as on the Air's Retina display. And assuming that you're running the Air in Retina "UI looks like 1440x932" mode, that's still 45% more workspace than you get on the HDTV!

I am using screen mirroring

If you're using screen mirroring, that's probably going to force the use of some "compromise" resolution. It if goes, I hate to think what that's going to do to the picture quality on that nice built-in Retina display.

how do I adjust the TV resolution so it looks crisper vs how it looks now?

Get a TV set or monitor that has much higher resolution, that is physically smaller, or that is both.

The 27" Apple 5K Studio Display has a resolution of 5220x2880 pixels and a pixel density of roughly 217.6 PPI. That display would have essentially the same quality as your MacBook Air's built-in screen. That display is $1500+ – but you can get good 27" 4K monitors and TV sets for as little as $300 – $350. 27" 4K gives you roughly 163.2 PPI, not quite as good as the 27" Apple 5K display, but still an order of magnitude better than a 32" 720p TV. (A 4K monitor or TV has 4x as many pixels as a 1080p one, and a 1080p one has more pixels than your 720p one.)

How to hear sound through TV instead of my MacBook Air when screen mirroring?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.