Can I connect to wifi while my phone is locked?

I’ve smashed my screen and I can insert the password to unlock. I was hoping to connect to my home internet so the iCloud backup would start automatically.

The phone was connected to that wifi before so the password is saved already.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 9:36 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2024 9:43 PM in response to lidims

lidims Said:

"Can I connect to wifi while my phone is locked?: I’ve smashed my screen and I can insert the password to unlock. I was hoping to connect to my home internet so the iCloud backup would start automatically. The phone was connected to that wifi before so the password is saved already."

-------

No. Damaged or not, you need to get back into this. So, take this in for service.

Troubleshooting a Locked iPhone:

Hold It Right There!:

Enter the passcode incorrectly too many times, and you'd likely be locked out for good. So, hold it right there, and refer to this link: If you Forgot the Passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is Disabled - Apple Support. It would be the one you've always entered. If you do not know it, then look for it in a location you may have stored it in.

Being Locked Out...

Have any Proof of Purchase?

Unless you have the original packaging and receipt, you may be out of luck. If you do have it, however, then take this to an Apple Store, or an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider)! and they may be able to restore it. The reason for this blockage is all about Security & Privacy.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :) 

Jun 21, 2024 9:55 PM in response to lidims

Let's start with the basics and go step by step in a logical sequence.

You state that you can enter your passcode to unlock the phone, so please test to see if the phone can connect to Wi-Fi and the Internet normally.

The Wi-Fi icon appears at the top of the screen, correct? If not, you obviously cannot connect using Wi-Fi, so we may be stuck until repairs are completed.

If the Wi-Fi icon appears, are you able to connect to the Wi-Fi network?

If yes, can you get a good Internet connection that way testing using Safari or another app?

If not what can you do? And what can you not do?

Jun 21, 2024 9:59 PM in response to lidims

lidims Said:

"Can I connect to wifi while my phone is locked?: I’ve smashed my screen and I can insert the password to unlock. I was hoping to connect to my home internet so the iCloud backup would start automatically. The phone was connected to that wifi before so the password is saved already."

-------

How to Protect your Phone:

Based on personal experience...

A. Screen Protector to Use:

Liquid Coverer: Is this covered under AppleCare? If so, don't use any liquid adhesive. If not covered under AppleCare, then what to use is Liquid Armor or Liquid Nano. Note that covering it with this would cancel any coverage whatsoever.

B. Which Case to Use:

I'm an OtterBox user. So, after Puget a new screen, consider using one of those. I've droppemy iPhone so many times, and these have prevented all damages, in all the years I've used these.

Can I connect to wifi while my phone is locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.