Unable to find pdfs in the iCloud

I have several pdfs I originally had saved locally on the ipad and opened in the books app (formerly ibooks). I decided I wanted to import them into a more useful book reading app, so moved them over to a different folder and imported them into the app (which removes them off of the ipad). So far so good.

However, I was surprised to see some files were not transferred, and after not finding them on my ipad I determined they had (for some reason) been deleted from my ipad and existed only on the iCloud. I can happily open them in ibooks, see all the notes I made, and open them both on my ipad and iphone.

So I went did a search on my iCloud files and they are definitely not (visible) there either. I contacted Apple Support in the hope they would be able to advise where these get stored and after more than an hour online with them I came no closer to an answer as they simply didn’t understand my problem or else didn’t know the answer. I have spent a couple of hours googling this problem but it seems no one know where these files are stored, and I am pretty much tearing my hair out at this point.

The most information I have come across is that you can find these pdfs by going into settings > profile > iCloud > manage account storage > Apple Books and they are there. Further you can’t do anything with them except delete them. You can’t copy them somewhere else.

I even tried from within ibooks to share them. I tried emailing them to myself, sharing to myself in messenger, sharing in dropbox, copying and pasting to a directory. Any attempts to share or copy just results in creating a text file with the author and book name. I am out of ideas at this point.

Is it just simply a matter that I have lost access to my files and tough luck? Or does anyone know where Apple stores these files on the Cloud?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 12:07 AM

8 replies

Jun 23, 2024 12:15 AM in response to clealuira

clealuira Said:

"Unable to find pdfs in the iCloud: [...]Is it just simply a matter that I have lost access to my files and tough luck? Or does anyone know where Apple stores these files on the Cloud?"

-------

Recovering iCloud Drive Data:

They're probably not lost --you just need to search for them. One easy way to do so...

Download All of iCloud Drive:

You can download all of iCloud, and then search through the iClouddownload using a the Search Bar on the top-right corner of a new Finder window. Use my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Jun 23, 2024 1:58 AM in response to clealuira

clealuira Said:

"I am not sure what you mean by “download all of iCloud”? I don’t have an Apple computer if that is what you are implying.."

-------

Using Finder on a Mac:

Yes --that is what I am implying.

If you have a PC, you might have to do this: Set up iCloud Drive on your Windows computer - Apple Support. Once downloaded, you'd searching thought you'd have to using Find, which is found the the Edit menu. If you want to download to to an external drive, then that take a bit of effort. Windows Explorer is the apps to use when browsing for files. Perhaps I'll author a User Tip on doing that with Windows Explorer?

Jun 23, 2024 8:03 PM in response to clealuira

clealuira Said:

"Unable to find pdfs in the iCloud: This is possibly a solution, so thanks for that. I am perplexed why I can’t see the files by either going into iCloud Drive on my iPad or by logging into the iCloud online. Surely I would see them using one of those methods?

———

Use a Mac:

If you know someone who has a Mac, then see about downloading it using their device. Make sure they are next to you as they do so, and that you have their permission. I recommend that they make you a Standard user on their Mac, so that nothing on their own account is fiddled with. They’d have to be the administrator to create this. Have the add you to the network, and let you download the info. Once complete, have them trash your account, once all is complete. See here: Add a User or Group on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 23, 2024 10:30 PM in response to muguy

Thanks for your reply. As previously mentioned I already tried this and sent it to myself numerous ways and all I get is a text file sent with the author and book title. Even if this did work it would be a clunky solution as I have a huge library to sift through and try and work out which ones I have successfully moved into the new app and which ones are missing.

It’s not the end of the world and I do make backups on my pc because of scenarios exactly like this. My husband always says he dislikes Apple because you don’t have control over your files. I have to say I am beginning to agree with him!

Unable to find pdfs in the iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.