Problems installing Google Chrome

When trying to install Google Chrome on a new iMac with Sonoma 14.5 I get a message the it is not compatible. I find that strange. As a matter of fact, I cannot find Google Chrome in the App Store using the App Store icon on my Mac.

Any help would be appreciated

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 2:40 PM

a brody wrote:

Not all sites are compatible with Safari, some only work with Chrome or Firefox or Edge.

Now why would a web developer go to the trouble to build a site compatible with Chrome, Firefox, and Edge - but not Safari? What is it about Safari that prevents the site from running? Safari's greater privacy protections, perhaps?

Sounds like a good reason to avoid that web site.

It is a good idea though to keep a separate repository of passwords that are only partial info, so if it falls in the wrong hands it won't be usable by anyone but you. Only you know your own cypher. Storing in a web browser is giving a lot of trust that the file won't ever fall in the wrong hands.

Safari works great with iCloud Keychain.

Sites that are specific to one web browser for compatibility are generally poorly designed in that they open themselves up to hackers because the limited compatibility automatically reveals any vulnerabilities the website has to people who know what are specific to specific web browsers.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. It's trivially easy to build web sites that work on all browsers. Compatibility problems are always 100% self-imposed. It is when developers rely on features that only exist in Chrome that leads their sites to not work in other browsers. This is what makes them more susceptible to hackers. Sites that use proven, well-testing, cross-platform features will work great on Safari and be safer from hackers.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2024 2:40 PM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

Not all sites are compatible with Safari, some only work with Chrome or Firefox or Edge.

Now why would a web developer go to the trouble to build a site compatible with Chrome, Firefox, and Edge - but not Safari? What is it about Safari that prevents the site from running? Safari's greater privacy protections, perhaps?

It is a good idea though to keep a separate repository of passwords that are only partial info, so if it falls in the wrong hands it won't be usable by anyone but you. Only you know your own cypher. Storing in a web browser is giving a lot of trust that the file won't ever fall in the wrong hands.

Safari works great with iCloud Keychain.

Sites that are specific to one web browser for compatibility are generally poorly designed in that they open themselves up to hackers because the limited compatibility automatically reveals any vulnerabilities the website has to people who know what are specific to specific web browsers.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. It's trivially easy to build web sites that work on all browsers. Compatibility problems are always 100% self-imposed. It is when developers rely on features that only exist in Chrome that leads their sites to not work in other browsers. This is what makes them more susceptible to hackers. Sites that use proven, well-testing, cross-platform features will work great on Safari and be safer from hackers.

Jun 23, 2024 3:22 PM in response to donaldfromtitusville

I have no knowledge regarding Google Chrome compatibility, but you want an alternative to Safari, consider Brave:

https://brave.com/

You cannot install Chrome without also installing Google. Installing Google obviates most of the security and privacy features that Macs incorporate. Brave is Chrome without Google's constantly running and automatically updating system alterations, which often cause a Mac to perform poorly at times that are difficult to correlate to any specific user activity.

• If you don't like Brave, all you have to do is not use it... unlike Chrome.
  • If you want to uninstall Brave, just drag its app icon to the Trash... unlike Chrome.

If you find that you cannot live without Google, buy a Chromebook. You'd be wasting money buying a Mac.

Jun 23, 2024 11:34 AM in response to donaldfromtitusville

donaldfromtitusville wrote:

When trying to install Google Chrome on a new iMac with Sonoma 14.5 I get a message the it is not compatible. I find that strange. As a matter of fact, I cannot find Google Chrome in the App Store using the App Store icon on my Mac.

It sounds like you are trying to use an old version or something. Google Chrome isn't in the App Store.

Why not use Safari anyway?

Jun 23, 2024 5:02 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

I avoid using Chrome myself, in part because I don't really trust Google, but I do have it installed. There are certain government web sites and a few commercial sites that work imperfectly with Safari. I agree Safari in general works well and I really like the iCloud Keychain in conjunction with Safari. Any site that does not work fully with Safari probably has a flawed implementation, but they do exist and sometimes one needs to utilize them for one's job or something else. When I encounter this I always try Firefox first before resorting to Chrome.

Jun 23, 2024 5:28 PM in response to steve626

steve626 wrote:

I avoid using Chrome myself, in part because I don't really trust Google, but I do have it installed.

I do too. Literally the only thing I use it for is testing my site's management of the Accept-Language header. I can configure Chrome to advertise any language I want. It's too much of a hassle to change Safari's language. I would use Safari Technology Preview but that's only available in English, even though technically the app language has nothing to do with this header.

And I also go against my own advice and use the new "Login Items" interface to disable Google Chrome's updaters.

Jun 23, 2024 11:46 AM in response to etresoft

If you have Bookmarks in Chrome, you can export them from Chrome's own Bookmark manager to an HTML file that Safari will import. Passwords though stored in Chrome are harder to transfer over to Safari.

Problems installing Google Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.