Final Cut Pro removes titles after every update

Hi!

I've set up custom downloaded titles for Final Cut Pro. I installed them in the application folder under: "/Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/MediaProviders/MotionEffect.fxp/Contents/Resources/Templates.localized/Titles.localized/"

Every time FInal Cut Pro updates, the titles are removed. If I add the custom title files back in, it doesn't fix the broken titles in my video, instead I have to recreate them from scratch. This is not ideal.

I read that I'm supposed to place these files in the Motion templates folder. Here is where I placed them: "/Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/MediaProviders/MotionEffect.fxp/Contents/Resources/Templates.localized/Titles.localized". However, when I add them to this folder, they don't appear in Final Cut Pro. I figured this might be because I didn't have Motion software purchased from Apple, so I proceeded to buy it. However it still doesn't show up.

My question is, when Final Cut Pro updates, where do I add the titles back in without having to redo all titles from scratch. Is there any way to just relink the missing titles within Final Cut? I really need to get this resolved so I can make videos each month without having to redo all the work.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 11:21 PM

I second everything fox_m says . . . never interfere with the FCP application folder in any way!

10 replies

Jun 23, 2024 9:30 PM in response to nekkatjie

Whoever recommended to you that you should install templates inside Final Cut Pro was an *expletive deleted* moron. [I've seen several videos where this recommendation is made -- it's infuriating to see!!!!]

You should ***never*** install templates inside the application itself. If you need to install templates for "all users" there is a place for that, but I am not going to tell you how because it is not recommended by Apple and as a template designer, it is against my "EULA" for you to install templates for all users.

There is only ONE Apple recommended location to install templates and that is inside your HOME folder (your current user account) / Movies / Motion Templates. The Motion Templates folder needs to have the extension ".localized" although that is rarely visible (as soon as you create a Motion Templates.localized folder, the ".localized" portion of the name usually simply disappears from view.)

Inside the Motion Templates folder there should be four other folders named Effects.localized, Titles.localized, Generators.localized and Transitions.localized. [These four folders along with Motion Templates are the ONLY folders to be localized.]

When installing templates into these locations, you need to create "Category folders" where the names of the folders are the labels you see inside the various inspectors in Final Cut used as "groupings", for example: Lower Thirds in Titles, Backgrounds in Generators, etc...) You can create your own category names as you like.

Inside these specific category folders is where individual templates are placed.

A "template" is a Folder with the template's name containing a Motion file also with the templates name, 2 pngs ("large.png" and "small.png") and a Media folder (not always required... but usually there albeit empty.) Do not change the names of the Template folder or the Template file — it will break!

When you upgrade Final Cut Pro, these templates, in their proper location, will not be overwritten (or deleted).

Jun 25, 2024 1:51 AM in response to nekkatjie

This is an example of what I mean. It is for transitions, but the other ones are similar.

Notes:

• Motion Templates, Transitions (and Effects, Generators and Titles) folders must be "localized", as already explained by fox_m.

• The category folder must exist between Transitions and the actual transition - in the example, that is "Lichinho". It is, as fox_m also explained, the name that appears in FCP.

Final Cut Pro removes titles after every update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.