FCP 10.8 - All I get is the spinning color wheel of death

Since updating to FCP 10.8,  all I get is the spinning color wheel. I’m on M2 Mac Studio with SONOMA 14.5. Anyone else getting this issue? And How do I fix it?

Thanks!

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 2:15 PM

I wonder if it's related to the hang problem just reported by Matthew O'Brien in his latest Youtube video. In his case it began on 10.8 when he clicked on an on-screen control for a title or when he used the built-in Draw Mask effect. I think he has numerous plugins but I don't know which ones. I cannot reproduce it on my similar Mac Studio machine, but I have very few plugins.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2024 2:15 PM in response to eyeRuss

I wonder if it's related to the hang problem just reported by Matthew O'Brien in his latest Youtube video. In his case it began on 10.8 when he clicked on an on-screen control for a title or when he used the built-in Draw Mask effect. I think he has numerous plugins but I don't know which ones. I cannot reproduce it on my similar Mac Studio machine, but I have very few plugins.

Jun 24, 2024 12:33 PM in response to eyeRuss

Have you rebooted the machine? Does each volume on the machine have at least 20% free disk space?

Do you get the spinning wheel when you start FCP, when you open a library, when you open a project, when you select a clip in the browser or in the timeline? Once it happens, is it intermittent or non-ending? Is a specific action required?

If you close that library and create a new blank library, does it happen then? If you import a few clips to that library, does it happen then?

Are you using any third-party FCP video or audio plugins?

Jun 24, 2024 12:57 PM in response to joema

joema, Yes on rebooting the machine. I have over 2TBs free disk space. I get the spinning wheel when I start FCP. The main window comes up and that is far as I can go. I do have third-party audio plugins. I uninstalled the ones that were reported to have a conflict. It was the Waves Studio Rack. If I uninstall all of them I won't be able to use them in my other programs.

Jun 25, 2024 2:05 AM in response to eyeRuss

It may not be causing the present issue, but it is well known that these google keystone "things" at times hog the system videotoolbox and hurt video applications terribly.

User Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.google.GoogleUpdater.wake.plist (Google LLC - installed 2024-06-17)

Command: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/GoogleUpdater/Current/GoogleUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/GoogleUpdater --wake-all --enable-logging --vmodule=*/components/update_client/*=2,*/chrome/updater/*=2

[Not Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Not signed - installed 2024-03-07)

<Empty>

[Not Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Not signed - installed 2024-03-07)

<Empty>

Jun 26, 2024 5:38 AM in response to terryb

Terry: great find!

eyeRuss: What type of Decklink interface is this? You have an M2 Ultra Mac Studio, which obviously cannot accept a PCIe card directly. Is it a Thunderbolt-connected device like the UltraStudio 4K Mini?

If you used a PCIe card in some kind of outboard chassis, what are the specifics?

FCP 10.8 - All I get is the spinning color wheel of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.