iCloud takes way more storage for photos than Google photos

I just bought my first ever iPhone (15 pro max) and i used to have a samsung with google photos, approximately taking 60gb of cloud storage. I've uploaded all those photos to iCloud now and its taking up 130gb with the exact same photos? I just want to understand why this is happening and if there is anything i can do to lower that (aside from deleting photos)

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 1:48 PM

2 replies

Jun 24, 2024 2:23 PM in response to muguy

When i first finished downloading all the photos i found many duplicates and over the course of a couple days I've found almost all of them, i do still occasionally find a picture or two and make sure to delete and empty the recently deleted. As for the hi-res, yes I stored them at full quality on google photos. If its of any help, i downloaded all the photos from the google photos app it self on my iphone.

Forgot the mention how much storage is taken by the photos on the device it self, i have the "optimize photos" on so right now it says 8.9gb but i recall it originally being 90gb, the total device storage taken was 129gb but after uploading them to icloud it suddenly jumped to 149gb and now "system data" is taking up all of that storage.

iCloud takes way more storage for photos than Google photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.