Messages taking up so much storage on my iPhone under Documents and Data

My Messages app is taking up 11.85 GB of my iPhone Storage in the Documents & Data category, yet all the other categories don’t add up to this number, not even my top conversations. How can I fix this issue and make the Messages app take up less space?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 6:16 PM

3 replies

Jun 25, 2024 8:28 AM in response to davidgordiienko

see below, I have nearly 100 GB of used space in cloud for messages. It says I have 2.74 GB of top conversations which cannot be accurate over seven years of collective text. Some of which are with people where I’ve got probably 20 GB of conversation. Further, when I select the top conversations, it gives me a blank screen so my information summary is seemingly inaccurate and incomplete. Yours might be displaying errors that are not representative of actual data use

you can call 1-800-myApple and asked for technical support for your device where they can even screen share and potentially help. I have a mixture of results through Apple Support over countless cases. But they may be able to explain and help rectify. Be careful some of the suggestions by advisors can be extreme, which caused other problems like, reset all settings on device. Generally fixes very little, but sometimes broadly stated and shouldn’t be a first action taken without extreme care. That type of setting to try and resolve some smaller issue set you back to default settings for whether or not to keep audio messages and text forever in which apps are cloud synced, and which apps have which permissions, etc., etc.

Anyway, see my screen capture with similar inaccuracies of top conversations being very small relative to my overall data usage and then tapping on top conversations and having nothing appear. There may be a bug in this software version. It may be by calling they reveal that to you and it’s going to be fixed. Not sure but I am encountering similar problem.

. having trouble getting these pictures to show up, logically on phone interface.

Jun 25, 2024 1:39 AM in response to davidgordiienko

You can contact Apple you might also try logging in online and seeing what your summary looks like for usage if it can be broken down in the cloud account online assessment. I don’t recall because I generally look at my phone, but I can’t tell you it is often the case that there is some disparity and information within the settings in the area looking at. I have a 15 promax and I want to check mine quickly to give you some suggestions and I have 90 GB in my Messages app, but when I look at the summary to breakdown where the data is most used it is empty and not populating. I’m often encountering situations like this so it could even be that there’s an error in the presentation of how your information is summarized. That may not be the case but personally over many years, I sometimes see , misleading information in this area. If there’s a second way you can look at it such as the cloud or elsewhere in settings, general, storage for cross comparison that may be additionally helpful to you, even even though something stored in the cloud are not stored on device.

Messages taking up so much storage on my iPhone under Documents and Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.