How do I install a newer version of macOS on my 2018 iMac?

My 2018 imac was gifted to me and i wanted to erase everything on it and do a factory reset i took a step too far and there was a question mark blinking and i tried to internet recovery and it worked but i could only download mac os lion and safari and nothing works i’ve been trying to figure it out for a day now

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 26, 2024 9:40 AM

7 replies

Jun 26, 2024 11:15 AM in response to eli1611

When the machine was gifted to you was it setup per the directions in What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support? If it was not or you do not know then the machine will never work correctly as it is still associated with the original owners AppleID, this cannot be fixed until the original owner prepares the Mac correctly per the directions in the link noted above!

What you are learning, the "gift" may not really be a give but a boat anchor.

Jun 26, 2024 12:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

i got it from my brother it had high sierrra on it i tried to factory reset in the disk thing and i only have os x base system and i can only download macos lion and it also says i have 2 hard drives i dont know if you need that information i watched videos on how to download high sierra with the terminal and using codes but haven’t worked out and i dont have another mac so i cant do the usb

How do I install a newer version of macOS on my 2018 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.