Do I need an anti-virus for my MacBook Air?

Just bought my first MacBook and I'm wondering if I should install antivirus software. What does Apple say?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 26, 2024 2:37 PM

8 replies

Jun 26, 2024 4:17 PM in response to lstroup

lstroup wrote:

Although I am a long time iOS user, I'm new to MacBook

Apple’s ecosystem basically embraces all their devices. Presumably you wouldn’t use anti-virus software on your iPhone.

Also hopefully you use iCloud to house such things as your contacts, calendar, and photos. If you do, these will immediately and conveniently be available on your Mac.

Jun 26, 2024 5:12 PM in response to lstroup

lstroup wrote:

Just bought my first MacBook and I'm wondering if I should install antivirus software.

Apple includes anti-malware built-in. This on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

For background on what Apple provides: Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

The built-in malware has kept the add-on anti-malware from corrupting things, but metadata collection and other shenanigans can still happen.

One of the better-known anti-malware add-ons was caught and fined for collecting and selling personally-identified web browsing and web purchasing activity, and I’d be surprised in various of the add-on VPN apps aren’t similarly collecting and selling user network metadata.

Too much of the add-in anti-malware can be difficult to distinguish from malware, if it is not actually malware.

Much of the malware that’s around tends to be user-installed. Cracked apps, license crack tools, adware, coupon apps, and other such.

Yes, if you need end-point security or such, there can be uses for add-ons. But that requires rather more IT infrastructure. (And malware scans best happen at the network, as flaws and vulnerabilities in the add-on anti-malware apps are themselves targets for malware.)

Jun 26, 2024 6:24 PM in response to lstroup

... What does Apple say?

Apple does not tell its customers what to install or what not to install, but I will: do not install non-Apple "anti-virus" products on Macs. They are all junk.

I do read occasionally that Apple computers are targets of malware and such

Of course that's what you read. As a Mac user, you are indescribably wealthy, on a global scale for certain. Scam artists all over the world target wealthy Mac users for the same reason Willie Sutton robbed banks: because that's where the money is.

The Mac is not the target, you are. Don't be a victim. Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.

Do I need an anti-virus for my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.