gmail password in Mail no longer works

All of a sudden, my Mail program won't receive or send emails, by gmail (and it's a POP account, not IMAP). It appears that the passwords have got out of sync somehow, and I can't fix it.

First, I did an account recovery for my Google account. Then I changed the password on the Google account. Both were apparently successful, but I'm not sure whether these actions are for gmail or just the online Google account page.

Then I went into Mac Mail 'Settings' and selected 'server settings'. This gave me two locations where I could edit my passwords (one incoming and one outgoing). So I put in the newly minted password I had just done for the Google account. I got a message saying "Unable to verify account name or password".

I'm still not getting any incoming emails and I can't send.

Some additional points>

1. I can still log into my Google account, and see my incoming emails there, so all isn't lost.
  2. This all started on the first day of a trip away from home, when trying to access gmail from an iPad. Possible finger trouble there by the user.
  3. I can't find my gmail account password in Keychain - I'm sure it was there once, so how do I find it?
  4. The gmail account is used on a Mac, an iPad, and two iPhones. Same problem on all four.

How can I find out what passwords gmail is expecting, so that I can edit my Mail server settings to match? Or find a way to change the gmail password in Google? Or is there another way to get these back in sync.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jun 27, 2024 1:46 PM

3 replies

Jun 27, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Paul Fryer

I believe you previously created a Gmail "app password" (which is distinct from your Google account password) for use with your Apple devices:

Mail can't sign in to gmail account - Apple Community

If so, I don't know why your credentials would have suddenly become invalid, but perhaps the Google document referenced in this earlier thread or simply repeating the app password creation process will restore your access.

Jun 27, 2024 5:02 PM in response to DEFCON 3

Thanks. I had forgotten that previous activity, and requesting a new app PW did the trick.

Odd that it should stop working though. But we have always had gmail problems when travelling - as soon as we connect to a different Internet Service Provider, gmail gets all snooty about connecting and we have to go and tweak things. Up to now we have managed, but this time we were further afield and nothing would work.

Anyway we are good now, so thanks.

gmail password in Mail no longer works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.