Tag Icon Missing From Photos with Keywords

I had a previous MacBook Air with an older OS version. On my new Macbook Air with Sonoma 14.5, photos that have keywords no longer have the tag icon on them. (See photo example below. The white tag, upper right corner is what I'm referring to.)

I had issues with the first MBA I purchased, so Apple replaced it. But this is also happening on the replacement MBA. (It happened on the first one also.)

Does anyone know why that is? I can't find any indication that Apple removed this feature. I've spoken to Apple support several times about this, including several agents in tier-two support. No one in Apple support knows anything about this feature having been removed. Yet they can't explain to me why my computer has removed the feature.

*This image was taken from another support question posted by another user. The user was asking what the icon meant. I obviously have no way to screenshot an image with the appropriate icon since my computer doesn't show the icon. So I borrowed their picture.

Posted on Jun 28, 2024 6:09 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2024 6:27 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

That appears to have been the problem! Thank you so much!! No, it was not selected. Can you believe Apple tech support didn't know to have me check that? Multiple tech support people didn't know, not just one.

I selected it, and I have an icon now. It's not solid white, just an outline. I suppose it's been changed to an outline now. (??) But at least it's something!

Jun 29, 2024 9:03 AM in response to auntgracie

I am also seeing the badge for keywords on the thumbnails, on all my Macs, independent of the system version - on my Macs with Mojave, Ventura, and macOS 14.5 Sonoma.

But if I remember correctly, some badges have been missing on my MacBook Air, when I still had Sonoma installed on this MacBook Air. I can no longer check is, because I am using my newest Mac for Beta testing. Perhaps it is a problem with macOS 14.5 on a MacBook Air from 2022.

Tag Icon Missing From Photos with Keywords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.