You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A warning about "Chrome Browser Update Installer (googleapis.com)" Tracking Apple/Mac Emails and Browsers

I know it is not new to hear about GOOGLE and their unethical tracking practices, but I would like to share with you how accepting a single outgoing connection to the site googleapis.com aka Google Chrome Updater through my firewall allowed GOOGLE the access it needed to track my email account. Imagine those who do not have a firewall installed.

I accepted the google chrome updater alert on my little snitch firewall, everytime I went to send an email after this, my firewalll alerted me that Google Chrome also was trying to connect to every one of my mail servers. Now, Google Chrome is not my default browser, and has no business trying to connect to my email account on my MAC which has no affiliation to GOOGLE. It is my iCloud account through Apple’s Mail app. I am glad I caught that and only did by chance after allowing a connection that I thought would be valid to keep the chrome browser updated. I know it is the Chrome Browser Updater connection because this happened as soon as I allowed/accepted the single “Chrome Updater” connection. If I don't have to send a few emails afterwards, I may have not made that connection myself. Of course my firewall notified me of the connection attempts and of course I blocked them but this is a warning to anyone. Google has way to many servers and IP address’s that are absolutely unnecessary. The only reason I have the browser is because I learned that some apps and video services are not as compatible as the Chrome browser.

And I know that the "update installer” is in fact connected to the googleapis.com website and I took a screenshot for you guys.

I really just wanted to warn everyone. Any thoughts on this subject?

The Mail alerts came up soon after the see port 80? on both the highlighted Chrome connection and the Mail connection? And a bunch of connections that asked if Chrome could connect to every email that I sent or clicked on. (I clicked allow by mistake on some of them thats why you see the green light there, but i unchecked it so the rule does not apply anymore.)

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jul 1, 2024 1:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2024 12:07 PM

Your screenshot doesn't indicate a relationship between email use & Google. The indicated ports are all HTTP/HTTPS ports, which would only indicate that both apps were trying to establish HTTP connections. My interpretation is that Chrome tried port 80 (HTTP) only after being denied use of port 443 (HTTPS).

What "mail alerts" are you talking about?

If you are convinced that Chrome is attempting to spy on your email, get rid of Chrome and any other Google-related services on your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2024 12:07 PM in response to Rubyrubyapple

Your screenshot doesn't indicate a relationship between email use & Google. The indicated ports are all HTTP/HTTPS ports, which would only indicate that both apps were trying to establish HTTP connections. My interpretation is that Chrome tried port 80 (HTTP) only after being denied use of port 443 (HTTPS).

What "mail alerts" are you talking about?

If you are convinced that Chrome is attempting to spy on your email, get rid of Chrome and any other Google-related services on your Mac.

A warning about "Chrome Browser Update Installer (googleapis.com)" Tracking Apple/Mac Emails and Browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.