Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert mp4 to mp3 files in bulk that keeps good quality?

Hi,

I was gifted an used iMac and need some help from this community. Currently, I have a large collection of MP4 video files that I need to convert to MP3 audio files. Manually converting each file one by one is too time-consuming, so I'm looking for an efficient way to bulk convert them all at once. I'm not sure which tools or software are best suited for this task.

Could someone recommend a reliable method or software for bulk converting MP4 to MP3? I'm open to using either free or paid options, as long as they can handle large batches efficiently.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jul 3, 2024 2:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2024 2:04 AM

I once used AudioKies to batch convert a large number of MP4 video files to MP3 audio files, highly recommended!

https://www.audiokies.com/mp4-to-mp3.html

12 replies

Jul 24, 2024 6:22 PM in response to Buddymee

Let me summarize everyone's answers.

FFmpeg is free and powerful, but it's hard to install, there's no GUI, and it's a bit of a barrier to entry.

VLC is free, but it can't convert mp4 to mp3 files in bulk on a Mac.

Handbrake is free, but only allows you to convert video to MP4, MKV, and WebM.

AudioKies is a dedicated audio converter, but it's not free. Maybe you can try MediaHuman Audio Converter, which is freeware.

iMovie is free but doesn't support batch conversion, and the output format is .m4a, not .mp3.

That's all.

ADDED: I use Cisdem Video Converter. It converts/compresses/downloads audio and video, and also exports audio and video from DVD/Blu-ray, but it's a paid program.

Jul 3, 2024 4:23 AM in response to Buddymee

Why .mp3? A quick method to convert to AAC .m4a is to select the .mp4 movies in Finder > right-click Services > Encode Select Video Files > Setting: Audio Only.

Or QuickTime Player > File > Export As... > Audio only.

If you insist on .mp3, you could use 3rd party apps like ffmpeg or GUIs that use it:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:a libmp3lame output.mp3

Jul 4, 2024 7:28 AM in response to Buddymee

No one recommend VLC? It is not only a powerful media player but also a good MP4 to MP3 converter. Here's how you can use VLC to convert mp4 to mp3.

• Launch VLC on your computer.
  • Go to Media in the top menu and select Convert/Save... or press Ctrl + R.
  • In the Open Media window, click the Add... button and select the MP4 file(s) you want to convert.
  • Click the Convert/Save button at the bottom of the window.
  • In the Convert window, choose the profile Audio - MP3 from the Profile dropdown list.
  • Click the Browse button to select the destination folder and name the output file with an .mp3 extension.
  • Click the Start button to begin the conversion process. VLC will convert the MP4 file to MP3 and save it to the specified location.

By following these steps, you can easily convert MP4 files to MP3 using VLC Media Player and takes advantage of its robust feature set and flexibility.

Jul 3, 2024 5:27 AM in response to Matti Haveri

On Sonoma 14.5, I have selected two .m4a files and there is no Encode Select Video Files on the Services menu.

I found the free fre:ac tool (GUI) that I used to convert my .m4a music to .mp3 files — because the 2011 Saab 9-5 audio wants .mp3 music via the USB AUX input. Drag a folder of .m4a onto fre:ac, select the LAME 3.1 encoder, and an output folder (in this case on a mounted USB stick), and quality conversion takes place in mere seconds.

Jul 4, 2024 6:57 AM in response to Buddymee

FFmpeg is a powerful command-line tool for converting mp4 to mp3 on Mac or Windows computer. It provides excellent control over the conversion process and maintains high quality.

Download FFmpeg from the official website. Follow the installation instructions for your operating system. Navigate to the folder where your MP4 files are stored. Use the following command to convert all MP4 files in the directory to MP3:

for %i in (*.mp4) do ffmpeg -i "%i" -q:a 0 "%~ni.mp3"

This command loops through each MP4 file and converts mp4 to MP3 while maintaining high quality (-q:a 0 ensures the best audio quality).

How to convert mp4 to mp3 files in bulk that keeps good quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.