You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move folders in Finder

I have found many solutions for my problem online, mostly the same ones, however none of them work! I am unable to drag a folder from one location to another. I've tried Command C then Command V or even Option Command V but nothing!

When I try to create a new folder (as a sub-folder) it creates the folder at the bottom of my folder list. I have an extensive group of folders with over 30 years of work files that I work with.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 3, 2024 1:54 PM

10 replies

Jul 3, 2024 5:58 PM in response to brad1136

brad1136 wrote:

I'm trying to add some sub-folders under a primary folder. When I click on File/New Folder, it adds it all the way to the bottom of a string of primary folders, not under the folder I'm trying to add the sub-folder to.

Under a folder, or within a folder? Creating “under” in Finder can be inferred to mean creating another file or folder within the same folder view that Finder is showing, and the order shown in the Finder view depends on the selected sort order.

Finder doesn’t show a tree of folders, which means creating two new folders in the same Finder view gets two folders in the same folder. Not one within the other. Closest viewing option a tree-like display in one Finder view is by selecting column mode view.

How to create a folder within another folder being shown in a Finder view? In Finder, double tap on the folder shown that you want to create the new folder within (or ‘under”, depending on how you reference that), or that is the first folder in the so-called path to the folder you want to create the new folder in, and then create the new folder in that window.

Again, Finder shows the current folder and its contents.

If you want to create a new folder in one of the displayed folders within the current Finder view, double tap to open that folder view.

You can also use tabs in Finder and those allow you to keep views into several folders all handy, as tabs allow multiple folders to be open. (And you can drag a file or folder from the open tab onto the tab in the Finder tab bar of another folder open in Finder to transfer the file or folder into that other folder.)

Or you can switch to column mode view in Finder, which might make the hierarchy a little more clear. Intro:

Windows experience unfortunately isn’t going to be all that helpful here, and that experience can sometimes be a source of confusion and frustration, as macOS works rather differently than does Windows. Yeah, there are some general similarities, but many other things are quite different.

Today at Apple has various (free) product classes, and a macOS class might help here. If you are near an Apple Store, here are the Today st Apple class listings: Today at Apple - Apple. On that page, select a nearby store in the upper middle of the page, then tap Calendar in the upper right, then tap Filter and select Products, then show all matching classes.

Apple does have some documentation for folks switching from Windows, which might help.

If you’re familiar with the MS-DOS shell (the DOS box as it was sometimes called) or such, you can launch Terminal app and get access to the UNIX command line. That can give you a very direct view of the file organization, though the UNIX shell commands may not be familiar to you unless you’ve been using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL or WSL2) on Windows, or using Linux, one of the BSDs, Solaris, Tru64 UNIX or some other such.

Jul 3, 2024 5:10 PM in response to MrHoffman

I'm trying to add some sub-folders under a primary folder. When I click on File/New Folder, it adds it all the way to the bottom of a string of primary folders, not under the folder I'm trying to add the sub-folder to.

I hope I'm explaining this properly. I just bought a Mac in March, after using Windows for well over 35 years, so it has been an adjustment but I'm really enjoying it, with a few minor exceptions and this one LARGE one!!!

Jul 3, 2024 7:19 PM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman...

How to create a folder within another folder being shown in a Finder view? In Finder, double tap on the folder shown that you want to create the new folder within (or ‘under”, depending on how you reference that), or that is the first folder in the so-called path to the folder you want to create the new folder in, and then create the new folder in that window.

BINGO! That's the step I didn't understand that I had to do! Looking "at" the folder, I was trying to add a sub-folder in that view instead of adding the folder "inside" the folder (the double tap step was the trick!). I'm off and running now, so thank you very much. I'll definitely check out those "windows to Mac" links, should definitely help me!

Really appreciate the help!

Can't move folders in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.