You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to buy a song on iTunes

It used to be that the Mac was known for being so user friendly. After Jobs died, something happened. I'm trying to do a simple thing that I used to do all the time but now Apple seems to want to hide it from me. I want to buy a song on iTunes. I go to iTunes Store but nowhere do I find a search button to search for a song. I DO find a search button on iTunes Music but when I type in the song, there is no price on the song so I can't buy it. Why is that?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 5, 2024 6:06 AM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2024 8:20 AM in response to jimbathgate

You may be searching Apple Music rather than the iTunes Store. Apple Music is a subscription service and there aren't individual prices for each song. To search the iTunes Store, see the following.

In the Music app menu bar, choose Music > Settings or Preferences > General and insure Show iTunes Store is selected.

Then click in the search box at the top of the left sidebar and then click the iTunes Store option at the top right of the main window as shown in the example in Buy music from the iTunes Store on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If the 3 options don't appear at the top right of the main window after doing the above, 2 things to try:

1) If the View menu in the menu bar contains "Hide Playing Next" or "Hide Lyrics" then click that item so that it changes to "Show Playing Next" or "Show Lyrics."

2) If there is a very small “<” at the top left of the main window (to the right of the sidebar search box), click it one or more times until there is no “<” there.

Closing and reopening the Music app has also been reported to be needed in some cases.

How to buy a song on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.