Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Keyboard backlight stopped working (MacBook Air M1)

The keyboard backlight on my Macbook Air m1 stopped working.

I wanted to download a program and the screen and keyboard went out during the download, I rebooted the laptop, but now the keyboard is not lit when I turn it on.

In the settings there is an option "Adapt brightness..." and all the sliders, but the situation does not change when you turn them on/off.

I think I even did a SMC reset, as I read on the internet it is done by simply rebooting the laptop connected to power.

The only option I haven't tried is a factory reset, but I don't want to do that.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem? (I have searched all over the Internet - no answer)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 6, 2024 3:30 AM

1 reply

Jul 6, 2024 4:25 AM in response to sabUtorU

Hi,

You may read following article, though.

Turn your Mac keyboard’s backlighting on or off – Apple Support (AU)

Try to run Apple Diagnostics, if it reports backlight error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac – Apple Support (AU)

If they don't help, I think you'd better take your MacBook Air to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Air there.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

Keyboard backlight stopped working (MacBook Air M1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.