Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I’m unable to exit macOS recovery

My MacBook M1 Air has accidentally entered macOS recovery, I’m unable to exit it, tried everything on youtube and google. The last option is macOS reinstallation, i started the process for 3-4 times it takes so many hours and went again on the first page.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2024 1:39 AM

14 replies

Jul 7, 2024 1:43 AM in response to javeria_saleem

User wrote " I’m unable to exit macOS recovery "

Quit macOS Recovery

Your Mac restarts automatically while restoring your system from Time Machine or reinstalling macOS. In other cases, you need to quit macOS Recovery manually (for example, if you want to back up your files before reinstalling macOS, or if you just changed a setting using Startup Security Utility).

On your Mac, do one of the following:

• Restart your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > Restart.
  • Choose a different startup disk before restarting your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > Startup Disk, select a startup disk, then click Restart.
  • Shut down your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Jul 7, 2024 2:58 AM in response to javeria_saleem

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Pause for 10 Seconds
  3. If you Hold the Power Button too long it will boot with the Options Presented
  4. Just tap the Power Button and no need to keep holding the button

Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button

Jul 7, 2024 8:48 AM in response to javeria_saleem

Sometimes a simple restart can help resolve issues with recovery mode. Press and hold the power button until your MacBook turns off completely, then press the power button again to turn it back on.

If your MacBook is consistently booting into recovery mode, it might indicate a problem with the disk. In recovery mode, open Disk Utility and check the disk for errors. You can run First Aid on the disk to repair any issues it finds.

If still no resolve

Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are PAID  Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues 

call 1 800 MyApple

Other location call Centres 

Contact Apple for support and service

Jul 7, 2024 1:57 PM in response to javeria_saleem

Cleaning the keyboard of this computer would required the Lid to be open.

Apple computers like this one, even if it were Turned OFF before the Lid was Closed, would automatically Turn ON

Therefore, during the time the keyboard was being Gently Cleaned, some key or combination of keys were depressed which has led to this issue

It haas been suggested to contact Apple Support for additional help

Understand, there are User to User Forums and Not Apple Support itself

We are each working Remotely from some location somewhere on the earth

If that this seems unreasonable, sorry about this.

We have attempted to assist as best we can

The next best thing to do >>

Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar or call 1 800 MyApple and have them evaluate the computer

Jul 7, 2024 10:35 AM in response to PRP_53

you say “This seem to imply something was done that does not allow a normal operation of this computer”

i said last option cuz i tried restart, force restart, shut down, time machine, disk utility first aid but nothing worked for me. macOS reinstallation was a longest process so i did that in the last, it redirect me to the same page after long hours reinstallation

Jul 7, 2024 10:40 AM in response to PRP_53

you say “When the computer " accidentally entered macOS recovery " what exactly did you do ?”

i rubbed my keyboard with a cloth i was just cleaning it, but it was not that hard, i didn’t press and hold any key, i just swiped the cloth on it. it was on sleep not powered off, after that when i turned it on it was on recovery mode. i guess it happen because of rubbing the cloth on the keys

I’m unable to exit macOS recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.