You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move an Album into a Folder in Photos on iPhone and iPad

Hello! This is not a question, it’s a solution, except to say to Apple, why can’t you make moving an Album into a Folder simple like other drag and drop options on Apple devices?

I found this workaround yesterday by mistake when I was trying to move 35 Albums into a single Folder in Photos on my iPad.

I was using the insane method that a lot of people I searched are using because Apple won’t let you simply drag and drop. Hard way: Create a Folder. Create an Album in that Folder. Copy the photos from the existing Album you wish to move, paste them into the Album in the Folder. Then delete the original Album. It takes a long time to do that when you have a lot of Albums you want to put in a Folder.

SO! There is a much easier workaround if you’re moving multiple Albums into a Folder, when using an iPhone or iPad.  (NOTE:  I have been able to duplicate this with iOS and iPadOS 15.8 and later. You can try earlier versions, it most likely works.

Workaround: In Photos where you have existing Albums, make a New Folder. Name it TestFolder. (The name has nothing to do with this workaround.)

Inside the TestFolder, add two Albums and name them Test1 and Test2. (You can actually name them anything, just makes it easier to find and delete them when you are finished.). No need to put any photos in the Test Albums. Also, you can rename any Album and/or Folder later with the Rename tool.

On the left side menu, scroll down to the first Album you wish to move into your new TestFolder.

Now, tap the Edit option at the top right of the menu column.  On the right of each Album and Folder there will be three horizontal lines.  These lines are to move the Albums and Folders Up and Down in any order you wish.

Now tap and hold the three lines next to the Album you wish to move and slide it Up or Down to place it between the two Test albums that you created and drop it between them. Sometimes this does not work on the first try.  Try again.

Now you can drop as many Albums as you wish into this folder, as long as you drop them between any two Albums in that folder.  Once you have your own two Albums in the Folder, you can delete the Test Albums and move your Albums in any order you wish.

Why Apple will not allow you to create a New Folder and simply drop an Album onto/into a Folder is just crazy.  It should be a natural thing.  If anyone else agrees it should simply be a drag and drop into any Folder, please write to www.apple.com/feedback and note as a bug that should be fixed or added if they think that is is not a bug…

Oh, if you already have a Folder with two or more Albums in it, simply start dragging and dropping… but remember, you have to drop between two existing Albums, I haven’t been able to drop at the top or bottom, only between Albums. If you need, once in the Folder, simply move up or down to position the order.

Cheers!

Thank you! 

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jul 7, 2024 9:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2024 6:14 AM in response to Gar Benedick

Hello again! I apologize, this workaround DOES NOT work with an iPhone. Unfortunately, the iPhone screen is not big enough to accommodate a Folder being open while trying to drag and drop, so there is no way to achieve this on an iPhone. However, if you are using iCloud to share your photos with all your devices and you have a Mac or an iPad, you can use Photos on your Mac or iPad to create the Folders and drag the Albums into the Folders and they will sync with your iPhone (and your other devices). (Please Note: I neglected to test my original workaround on an iPhone before I posted the original post. My apologies!!!)

Thank you!

How to move an Album into a Folder in Photos on iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.