Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I fix offline mail accounts on my MacBook without a VPN?

I have a very old mac that can no longer accept updates. I have always been able to keep two alternative mail accounts, one hotmail and one a mac account. I do not like having to go to Safari and sign into Outlook so I want the use of these two email accounts. For ages now the mail accounts go between online and offline but recently it's been all offline even though I'm on strong Wifi with no VPN. Is there hope of being able to take these accounts online and if so, how? I need it explained at the novice level. Any assist you can provide would be gratefully accepted. TIA

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 8, 2024 3:10 PM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2024 8:55 AM in response to lindafromkenai

Any recent, up to date Microsoft Exchange server will no longer function with older macOS versions of the Mail app. There are no workarounds for that. To circumvent that limitation you will need to access that account through a web browser, as it sounds like you've been doing.

A strong wireless connection is not related, and I seriously doubt a VPN would be a factor either. The restriction is an inability for older macOS versions to cope with recent email security protocols.

"Older" is relative of course, and it would help if you were to identify your model Mac so that I may be able to suggest possible alternatives.

What model Mac is yours?

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

Identify your MacBook model - Apple Support

Identify your MacBook Air model - Apple Support

Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

Identify your Mac mini model - Apple Support

Identify your Mac Pro model - Apple Support

That is not an exhaustive list. There are literally hundreds of different models.

How can I fix offline mail accounts on my MacBook without a VPN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.